MCSA Server 2008

Pass the 70-646 Server Administrator exam so I'm finally an MCSA Server 2008!

Not sure what I'll work on next, I think i'm going to work towards my VCP in 5.1 or 5.5 then circle back to Microsoft and take the 2012 upgrade before it expires (no retirement set for the 2008 exams but i'm sure an announcement will be coming late this year or early next year).icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    God deserves my best
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Meant to add - I used the MS publishing book, pluralsight, lots of lab work and lots of technet articles.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude!
  • nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Job!
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lex,
    Congrats on your success!!
    Can anyone please tell me what are the paper codes(with paper name) I need to give to pass MCITP 2008?
    I am really confused with so many myriads options & after seeing this Microsoft website made me even more confused-
    https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-in/mcitp-certification.aspx
    It says different paper codes than the standard 640,642 and 646.
    Also,is mcitp certification still valid? Then why does Microsoft lists 640,642,643,647 as papers to sit for the MCITP exam. They should have updated their site!!??!!

With Regards
    p1xels - what do you mean by paper codes?

The MCITP title is no longer being given out, look at the link you just posted. Microsoft stopped handing out MCITP titles after July of 2014.

I thought they were also discontinuing the 70-643 and 70-647 exams as well but it looks like that has been retracted. So while the MCITP title can no longer be obtained, you can still take all of the exams within that certification (So the title has retired, but not the individual exams). You can view retired exams here and upcoming exams to be retired - they usually give a 12 month warning about exam retirements before the exam is retired). https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/retired-certification-exams.aspx

They did a complete 180 in their certification titles over the summer. Before it was the MCITP: Server Admin and the MCITP: Enterprise admin. The Enterprise Admin consisted of 640, 642, 643 and 647 plus a desktop elective while the Server admin consisted of the 640, 642 and 646. The new titles are MCSA and MCSE. I'm not sure where you are with your certification path and how far you are - but you should be tailoring your studying and exam taking to fit the new model.

MCSA - exam codes depend on the certificate title you are trying to obtain (IE SQL, Desktop)
    https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-certification.aspx

MCSE - exam codes depend on the certificate title you are trying to obtain (IE SQL, Desktop)
    https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcse-certification.aspx

Let us know if you have any questions. MS has updated their website to reflect the retirement of the MCITP - read the link you posted. They haven't done a great job though of communicating what exams will be retired if any. I swear the 647 and 643 were on the retirement list but they may have been taken off. I would imagine we will be seeing a retirement announcement for the 2008 material (including 2008 titles) late this year. I would anticipate 2008 being retired late 2016. Doesn't mean the material isn't valuable and i guarantee companies will still be using 2008 but the exams won' be offered.
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey buddy,
    Is Microsoft so foolish enough ? Which person in this world will be so foolish to give the old exams of 640, 642, 643 and 647 plus 680( i think that is what you meant by the 'desktop elective'?) by paying their hard-earned money in return to get no IT certificates? I mean those exam codes were for the MCITP title as far as i knew. So if MS retired those titles ,then why are all the individual exams of MCITP(viz. 70-640,70-642,70-643,70-647 and 70-680) still valid?

hope you can answer this ,this time icon_wink.gif
    regards
    You misunderstood my post. You will get those certifications, you will NOT get the MCITP title. You are confusing the two. You can still sit those exams and if you pass you will receive the certification for that specific exam. However, if you pass all of those exams you will NOT get an MCITP title. With the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 exams you will receive the MCSA title.

There are PLENTY of pissed off people that when through the MCITP certification path, passed the 70-643 and 70-647 exams as well just to have their eventual title be MCSA. There was a short period of time where if people passed those exams you got both certification titles, but at this point you just get an MCSA.