Options

Help Need some direction !

tigermantigerman Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

Based on what the IT market is up to, I was wounding what cert. Are most likely to land me A great permanent paying job.

I always had a fascination with IT security and network design . But at this time only interested in what going to put me back to work.

Little back ground , Have work mostly desktop support and help desk going on 8 + year now. A bit tried of this routine and looking to make a change. would like to go deeper in to security and networking. but with all the rumor I here out there am unsure what cert will prove to be the most bang for my bunk. (want to really get notice!) I currently hold a few certification. A+ net+ security + , CloudU , sigma: white belt. etc.

so in closing, what cert are employer look for the most and what cert will the most likely continue to look for in the future (that would help land me work) ?

Are there any other direction I should consider in IT ? ( look for some good advice on what to do feel like I hint a bump and I unsure where to head. )

:D

Thanks for any advice !

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The first step is to determine where you want to go or at least identify what captures your attention. Systems admin? Network? Security? Different employers value Microsoft, Cisco, security certs, etc. Since this may vary per region, I always recommend going to site like Indeed.com and searching for positions that you like and see what the requirements are. That will give you a good localized snapshot of your market.

More important that that, realize that certs are just a piece of the puzzle and need to be paired with education, expertise, and the ability to sell yourself.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree that certs are important for any IT person no matter what position the fill or seek to fill. But they are not the end all from a job standpoint. If anything Certs should verify experience and or education.

I will also add that you should move toward what you like to do, and are also good/marketable at. I know to many people that spent years getting education in an area that promised $$$ but absolutely hate what they do.

There is the famous adage that you'll know your dream job, when you'll do it for free.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA