Options

Implementing Employee Lead Training - Network 101

KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok, thanks in advance for reading this long post and any advice/opinions offered.

After suggesting doing some employee lead training to share skills at work, I've been volunteered to to a test run for basic networking. I am a Network Admin 3, the target audience will be IT users from other groups (app dev/help desk/management) who may want to increase their understanding of networking. Completely optional, but some people will be highly recommended to attend.

My plan is to do 4, 45minute lunch and learns. And would love some input on what to make them on. My goal is to make them standalone as much as possible so that people can attend ones that they may be interested in and skip the others. A couple of help desk guys are going after their network+ now but the other attendees will mostly be just looking for real world info that may help them understand things better (or just pretending to care to make management think they are invested)

session 1
OSI/TCP Models
Basic coverage of all 7/4 layers but concentrate on difference between layer 2/3

session 2
Vlans/Subnets
don't plan on teaching them to subnet but just cover the basics of what it means and why it's done

session 3
Layer 4
common ports, what ports are, (need some more to fill out 45 minutes here)

session 4
Firewall Basics
what is a firewall, why least privilege, when do things hit the firewall

Any thoughts or possible changes? I'm thinking I could probably roll the session 3 on ports into session 1, but can't think of a topic for a 4th session unless it's a quick lesson on malware, or social engineering threats

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Are you going to talk about routing, switching, DHCP, DNS, ARP, IP addresses, MAC addresses? I would talk about all of these before VLANs and subnets.
  • Options
    KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hmm, very good points. Thanks. Updated info. And I want to cover the vlans and subnets at least briefly because a couple of our help desk guys struggle to understand the importance of a specific user having the right address(being in the right vlan)

session 1
    OSI/TCP Models - "What about layer 8 & 9?" (Money and Politics in our world)
    Basic coverage of all 7/4 layers but concentrate on difference between layer 2/3
    mac address v IP, switching v routing

session 2
    BootP/DHCP/ARP/DNS - "Insert cheesy quote here"

session 3
    Vlans/Subnets - "Why are there different IP's in each building?"
    don't plan on teaching them to subnet but just cover the basics of what it means and why it's done

session 4
    Firewall Basics - "Why is the data center on fire?"
    what is a firewall, why least privilege, when do things hit the firewall
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would drop the firewall because its over most users heads. I would replace it with Wifi and talk about CSMA/CD vs CSMA/CD and how it works by half duplex vs. 802.3. I also agree about DHCP being in there.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe share some troubleshooting tips/tools (ping, traceroute, checking cabling, etc).