CCNP Lab

dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok it is time to go ahead and build my CCNP lab

What equipment would be best, my job will provide me with any image that is needed to upgrade

With that said i have this alread

Switch

3750 48 port

Router:

None

What else do i need, are 1841 good enough, 2, or are the 26xx good enough

will be buying these over a period of time, advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    for routers I would use GNS3.

I was always one who wanted to build a massive lab with real equipment but I studied for ROUTE with GNS3 and it was awesome.

I'm working on SWITCH now. I'm doing a mix between packet tracer and I also have 6 3560's in my home lab.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 1841 is a better router and you will definitely need 1841s if you do CCNA: Security [as it relies heavily on CCP]. For CCNP: R&S, a 2600XM might be sufficient, but given that they cost almost as much as an 1841, I would think it a waste to not get 1841s. The only advantage I see for the 2600XM is that it has an NM slot, which could make it useful as a Frame Relay switch (paired with an NM-4 or 8A/S). Another option for a Frame switch is the 2811 as it has 4 WIC/HWIC slots, allowing you to run Frame Relay over T1 instead of Serial.

For switches, you would ideally want 3750 or 3560 (These should support Private VLANs, IPv6, and VTPv3). The 3560 (Non-PoE) models can run IOS 15, while the 3750 cannot, but the current TSHOOT exam uses 3750-style port numbering (3 digits) on the switches, rather than the 3560's 2 digit numbering. Personally, I don't think it makes too much of a difference, and you won't be able to find a router that uses 4 digit numbering like the ones in the TSHOOT topology anyways.

My CCNP Lab --

5 x 1841 (4 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2, 2 x WIC-1T)
    1 x 2811 (4 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2)
    2 x 3560-24TS
    2 x 3750-24TS
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks,

@sucanushie i am thinking of going the gns3 route for the CCNP route but there is nothing like real equipment IMO, i see you have a lot of 3560, the prices on those are a bit high for me at the moment, i might invest in one at the moment.

Thanks glad for the input

much to decide

@theodoxa thats a nice lab you have there, i am thinking of gettin another 3750 or 2 to help with my switch studies