Options

Is this an error in Tod Lammels book or my head? lol CCENT ACL

Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
Hey guys
SO i have Tod Lammels book here CCENT 100-101
This is Hands on Lab 12.1 Standard ACL

SO it says this:

"In this lab you will allow only packets from a single host on the SF lan to enter the LA Lan"

Go to LA Router
create ACL and bind to int. So:

access-list 10 permit 192.168.20.2 0.0.0.0
Int f0/0
ip access-group 10 out

Help me out here, isnt this actually only allowing one host on the LA lan OUT of the network? here is the topology::

Comments

• Options
    Ok,

I wasnt 100% on my mis conception. But lammels book is wrong, and i found a correction in his website for this.
    Saying out means out of the router to to that interface.
    However lammels book said to use 192.168.20.2. and its supposed to say 192.168.10.2 (that correction is shown on his website)

Well if you read this book now you know. Someone help me verify i have my ducks in a row please

Lammels book describes things very well. But ive noticed multiple wrong things in this book, as well as repeat questions in chapter tests. He does post corrections on his website, but i kinda feel this book should have been proof read a little better. His Network+ book was very well written.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys
    SO i have Tod Lammels book here CCENT 100-101
    This is Hands on Lab 12.1 Standard ACL

SO it says this:

"In this lab you will allow only packets from a single host on the SF lan to enter the LA Lan"

Go to LA Router
    create ACL and bind to int. So:

access-list 10 permit 192.168.20.2 0.0.0.0
    Int f0/0
    ip access-group 10 out

Help me out here, isnt this actually only allowing one host on the LA lan OUT of the network? here is the topology::

You will see a few mistakes in Lammle's book. Hang out in his forum (albeit, it has very low traffic) and you will see folks
    who point these things out like your issue above (I did)

Chapter 12 hands on lab
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Switch1Switch1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□

192.168.20.2 is not on the SF LAN to start with.

I think it's safe to assume the book meant to say 192.168.10.2 as the ACL logic applied makes sense in that scenario. Placing the Standard ACL as close to the destination as possible, in this case LA Router's Fa0/0 interface in the out direction (after the forwarding decision has been made).
    Currently Reading :study:
    100-101 ICND1 Official Cert Guide
    CCNA in 60 Days
    CCENT Study Guide Exam 100-101

OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol

• Options
    Thank you gentlemen

I guess these errors are good, it helps me remember. LOL but while your trying to learn this it kinda throws your mind through a loop haha

Ill get on the lammel forum too thanks for the suggestion
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All books have mistakes but they stand out more in technical books.
    One of the problems is the proof readers often don't understand the content so they are just looking for grammar and spelling type mistakes.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    All books have mistakes but they stand out more in technical books.
    One of the problems is the proof readers often don't understand the content so they are just looking for grammar and spelling type mistakes.

Yeah, a lot of books have a page/site dedicated to its errata. I always look for something for each book I get...helps to be aware.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA