Options

Help?

matthewhutchmatthewhutch Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Not sure if this is the right place to post but i don't suppose anyone can recommend which routing protocol to use for a large network over 3 buildings around a city, I don't know anything about routing protocols i have used RIPv1 and eigrp. I've looked into OSPF and that seems the best but i need to know why to recommend that, anyone help with simple advantages of it and why not to choose the other 2? Please help, thanks

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well rip is so not being used that it isn't even on the cisco certifications anymore. It isn't on the certification anymore because no one uses it. So, no one learns it (anymore). So, you can use it (if you think all the network engineers in the world are dumber than you because they aren't using it) and are wanting to teach it to all your new hires how it works (if you can get new hires once they realize your using technology that they don't bother to teach in school anymore).
    so it is going to be between osfp and eigrip
  • Options
    So can you help me with the advantages of using osfp?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    OSPF is an open standard, while eigrp (for now) is still Cisco proprietary. So EIGRP is only going to work if all your routing devices are Cisco manufactured. That tends to be the quickest decider right there.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    OSPF is open standard. OSPF is probably the most popular IGP out there so it has very good and stable implementations on pretty much any major network equipment vendor. By default, OSPF has pretty fast convergence and you could just stick everything in area 0 and be good to go.
  • Options
    Switch1Switch1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So can you help me with the advantages of using osfp?

Really? icon_rolleyes.gif

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=advantages+of+using+osfp
    Currently Reading :study:
    100-101 ICND1 Official Cert Guide
    CCNA in 60 Days
    CCENT Study Guide Exam 100-101

OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    OSPF vs. EIGRP

It depends.

1. Open/Multivendor
    2. Ease of use
    3. Limit Routing Information
    4. Company Policy
    5. Other Considerations
    6. Reference

1. Open/Multivendor
    If you need to use an open standard, then use OSPF.
    If you run a multivendor network, then use OSPF.
    While Cisco released EIGRP to IETF, I feel that it was a token move to insure that they'd still be available for governmental use. (Please note that they don't appear to be releasing the "advanced" features.)
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/86344-cisco-releases-eigrp-ietf.html

2. Ease of use
    OSPF requires a bit more skill to implement (multiple LSA types, multiple area types, multiple network types), and EIGRP is a lot easier to get running.
    A common implementation issue with EIGRP is that it is so easy to get running, that a network can grow without proper planning, and not have any hierarchy built into it, which may lead to issues. With OSPF, if you do anything besides a single area 0, you have to plan for hierarchy, so it should be better planned out.

3. Limit Routing Information
    OSPF summarizes at the edge of the areas to limit routing information. Totally stubby is about the best you can do to limit routing information, but keep in mind that the 1/2 LSAs are still sent within the area, and you really can't get around it. [every router has a complete picture of the area in OSPF] (maybe there is a trick to this, and I'm just not advanced enough to know it yet.)
    EIGRP can summarize at an arbitrary interface, which makes for very flexible summarization. You can limit routing information very well.

4. Company Policy
    Maybe there is a policy that requires the use of a certain protocol. In such cases, use that protocol.

5. Other Considerations
    There may be other considerations, but these came off the top of my head.

6. Reference
    OSPF Design Guide - Cisco
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Switch1 wrote: »

*Ouch*, at least you didn't do this:

Let me google that for you

There's no hand-holding with you!

Do you work in a NOC or something?

I ask because I worked in a NOC where people would send "lmgtfy" around. If you needed help to figure out anything greather than whatever credentials you were assigned, you weren't going to make it there. It was definitely not newb-friendly. We printed out certificates every time someone left. One guy had three certs on the wall, as he'd come back and left two more times.

I actually enjoyed working there, and had fun.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    *Ouch*, at least you didn't do this:

Let me google that for you

There's no hand-holding with you!

Do you work in a NOC or something?

I ask because I worked in a NOC where people would send "lmgtfy" around. If you needed help to figure out anything greather than whatever credentials you were assigned, you weren't going to make it there. It was definitely not newb-friendly. We printed out certificates every time someone left. One guy had three certs on the wall, as he'd come back and left two more times.

I actually enjoyed working there, and had fun.

Sorry I come from StackExchange so it's almost habit to shake my head at simple questions icon_surprised.gif.

That story is hilarious, sounds like hell.
    CCNA in 60 Days

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The main thing is OSPF is open so you can use other routers. Now, the big news is EIGRP was "opened up" as of last year. Not sure a Juniper router would recognize EIGRP though.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Last thing I need to know is what routing protocol would be best for the same network running IPv6? Ospfv3? I accept all noob-ish comments im sure i deserve them haha
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies by the way great help
  • Options
    Last thing I need to know is what routing protocol would be best for the same network running IPv6? Ospfv3? I accept all noob-ish comments im sure i deserve them haha

Dynamic Routing Protocols OSPF and EIGRP are made for IPv4 Networks and will not work with IPv6 Networks, however both protocols have versions to support IPv6, OSPFv3 and EIGRPv6.

The pros and cons between OSPF and EIGRP are basically the same when it comes to OSPv3 and EIGRPv6, so your conclusion between the two should stay regardless of IPv4 or IPv6.

Note: Route Redistribution is a nice read. It allows for multiple routing protocols to run on routers while still advertising their routes and redistributing other routes successfully.

Always a pleasure helping people with their homework 0RUTpZs.png.
    CCNA in 60 Days