Options

Better experience?

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I am trying to figure out which would be better for me in the long run. So I am currently doing a Help Desk Internship but it isn't a traditional help desk environment. It's more so software support for a proprietary software for the company. I do get to work with developers and engineers as well as dealing with ticketing systems and queries. It's a pretty laid back company but I am not getting real help desk experience or any networking experience which is what I want to do.

There was a position open at my University for IT Student Support. I believe it's pretty much a legit help desk position at my University.Here is the job description:
The position is only available for Undergraduate students. Duties include:
*Help Desk Support
*Recovering, ghosting and imaging computers
*Troubleshooting email, printers, common desktop problems
*Repairing and maintaining desktop systems
*Backing up systems
*Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Projects)
*Smartphone experience with setting up email, calendar and troubleshooting issues
*PC desktop support is mandatory, Mac experience is a plus

Must communicate well, and work independently. Experience in help desk support is preferred

I think this would be a great opportunity for me since it is on campus but I am contracted to my internship until June. I graduate this December so I figured if I start at the Help Desk position at my university then it would probably be enough time to hopefully land a Tier 2 Networking position when I graduate.

I am not sure if this would be true if I continue at my internship. Here is a list of duties for my current internship:
providing excellent customer service, strong verbal and written communication skills, and the potential to provide light technical support. The ideal candidate will attempt to understand our customers' needs and be able to address the issue by knowing where and when to escalate the issue, if needed.
I really don't know what employers will see more valuable. I would even go as far as to say that this is more of a call center type position than IT help desk. I am contracted at this internship until June but I know previous interns have left due to circumstances. I don't think I want to quit but I really want to gain more experience in other fields.

Should I just finish the last 6 months, get another internship with better IT experience or should I just try to get out of this internship and work the IT Student Support position? I have never quit on anything in my life so I don't really like the second option but I need to do what's best. I am even considering doing both while taking on 7 classes this semester haha. School always come first to me though so I don't know if that will be the smartest option.

I appreciate all the advice and I do apologize for the super long post.

Comments

• Options
    Btw here is my resume so you guys can get an idea of what would be best for me. I am open to any resume suggestions as well. Thanks!

TechExamsResume1.pdf
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you are ok at the internship because you are learning how to work a ticket system. But is the software you work is propriety software? If so I would think about leaving but hey its a start. The other job is okay, it seem like Level 1 work but you are in the field and tackling a whole world of issues, while earning pay. I would apply and if they hire I consider it.
  • Options
    psheehan5psheehan5 Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Marck04,
    Here are a couple of suggestions I might make for you:
    Instead of “Provided assistance to clients using ____ system”
    Can you tell me what you actually did or solved? Such as:
    Solved customer blue screen of death; found and fixed more than 20 registry errors; customer back up and in 30 minutes from call
    Instead of “Assisted Software Support Team and Development Team in discovering bugs within…”
    Assisted Software support and development teams; discovered and corrected more than 50 bugs in beta software; enabled on time delivery to customer

Same kind of thought process in the other bullets you have. Tell me what you did and what the result was.
    Also my two cents on what you should do: since this isn’t a traditional help desk position, I would get everything I can out of it. You never know when these non-traditional skills you’re learning at your internship will put you above someone who only has traditional help desk experience.
    I am not currently employed in the IT world. I'm looking at what you're doing and seeing a way to set yourself apart from others.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    @1IITMASTER, yes it is a proprietary software which is why it doesn't really translate into other positions.

@psheehan5, Thanks for the advice! I will definitely make those changes. I think doing both of them at the same time will certainly set myself apart from others. I just don't want it to jeopardize my school work. My internship requires a minimum of 20 hours but I am gonna see if they can keep me on board doing 12 hours a week. And then hopefully do 16 hours at the position on campus. That wouldn't be bad if I am only doing 28 hours a week while taking 7 classes. I just don't know if they would be willing to keep me on for such little hours. I am doing a great job and they love me here so hopefully that plays in my favor.