Company is willing to pay for training in small amounts... thoughts?

Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
My company has offered to pay for training for me, however my boss will need to "sneak it in" to other expenses. He said $300-$500 "here and there" is probably about the max.

I wanted to take an MCSA bootcamp, but those cost about $5k lump-sum and are out of the question. I've looked for other classes, and they run around $2-3k.

The best idea I have right now is to have them bankroll self-study materials, but I've never really taken to self-study like some. I'm a good student in school, but I really struggle with motivating myself to self-study. I passed my CCENT with self-study, but it was quite a slog and I disliked it. I was unemployed at the time, too, so now with a full-time job (and a baby on the way!) I just don't see it being a path to success. I could probably force myself to do it, but I'm afraid of burning out.

Any ideas how I can get MCSA training that isn't these $2-3k crash-courses? Something that offers classes over a longer period of time and spreads out the expense?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    look into Pluralsight and CBTNuggets. I think both have a monthly subscription option.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just thought of CBTNuggets -- that might be perfect. I know you can't pass the test on those alone, but CBT + a couple books + practice tests would probably be sufficient (from what I'm reading on here). I also have access to set up however many test/lab machines I want at work to mess around with stuff, which is a big plus.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Bacon_00 wrote: »
    Just thought of CBTNuggets -- that might be perfect. I know you can't pass the test on those alone, but CBT + a couple books + practice tests would probably be sufficient (from what I'm reading on here). I also have access to set up however many test/lab machines I want at work to mess around with stuff, which is a big plus.

If your on a tight budget get a desktop and put esxi 5.5 on it, as long as the suckered has a quad core (HT is even better) and say 8 to 16 GB'S of ram and for testing a large drive you can make a few VM's with 2008 R2 or 2013 R2 on them and just experiment. Literally making a windows domain with a Windows 7 box is the best way to learn for the MCSA.

Microsoft offers 60 day trials of server 2008/2013 and windows 7, even though after 60 days it won't be legit it will still work.

Once you have a small lab, the read along is much easier to absorb.

If you need help with the lab let me know. Myself or others on here can build out something with a budget range to work with...

Best of luck to you!
  • Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »
    If your on a tight budget get a desktop and put esxi 5.5 on it, as long as the suckered has a quad core (HT is even better) and say 8 to 16 GB'S of ram and for testing a large drive you can make a few VM's with 2008 R2 or 2013 R2 on them and just experiment. Literally making a windows domain with a Windows 7 box is the best way to learn for the MCSA.

Microsoft offers 60 day trials of server 2008/2013 and windows 7, even though after 60 days it won't be legit it will still work.

If you need help with the lab let me know. Myself or others on here can build out something with a budget range to work with...

Best of luck to you!

Great advice -- thanks! I actually have access at work to make however many 2008/2012 VM's I want (within reason), and have actually already set up my own little test domain to screw around on. So I won't lack for a sandbox to break/fix/learn on, which is half the battle. So with that all set, I'm hoping CBT Nuggets + a textbook + some practice labs will be enough to get me through the tests.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »

Best of luck to you!

Well I think that would be cool for everyone around here on how to build a correct lab using ESXI I believe you could run hyper-v nested inside esxi right?
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good for you . I notice I learn better when i'm in a class room or doing example lab work. that's how I learn plus some reading on my own. The only issue is that when I do have a question or stuck who do i ask google? haahah ... I guess everyone has there way of learning...

For me I need some kind of structure for me to follow ... Step by step to build and learning
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Local community colleges may offer the program at a decent price. Prices range from a few hundred to a couple grand. I'll send you a PM.