Just a week ago

DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just a week ago I thought studying for the Linux+ was a great idea, then I find out that the materials that I just purchased will expire in June.
I passed the Sec+ at the end of Dec and then ordered the Sybex book to start studying for the Linux+. Now they have announced that the old exam will expire in June I was thinking should I keep studying with the material that I have or back track and study for the Network+ until new materials come out for the Linux+. The reason I'm thinking this is because I don't know how realistic it is to go from cold to passing both exams by June. With the Network+ I would think some of the information would overlap what I just finished studying for the Sec+.

I'm not a complete newbie with Linux although I'm far from a guru. Other than the laptop my wife uses every pc in my house is powered by Linux. Some are deb based some are rpm, so I'm not distribution biased. I run a headless media server but my comfort in the command line is based around my personal needs, so as I read the study book I have both a sense of familiarity and obscurity.

Just this morning I woke up and looked over at a N10-005 book that has not been utilized and thought maybe I should at least get other opinions on this and not just rely on my own scatter brain ideas icon_rolleyes.gif
2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating

Comments

• 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's entirely possible to pass in that time frame - you just need to commit to yourself that you are going to accomplish your goals of getting it done. If you already have some working knowledge with Linux, you're at least 1/4 of the way there - it's more about memorizing locations of things, different options / flags, what different configs do, etc. The exams don't get completely in the weeds, so you don't need to worry about building out a Linux architecture.
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    5ekurity wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to pass in that time frame - you just need to commit to yourself that you are going to accomplish your goals of getting it done. If you already have some working knowledge with Linux, you're at least 1/4 of the way there - it's more about memorizing locations of things, different options / flags, what different configs do, etc. The exams don't get completely in the weeds, so you don't need to worry about building out a Linux architecture.

What 5ekurity said! 100% absolutely passable in that time frame. Just be consistent in setting and completing small goals (read 30 pages, play with 2-3 commands, create 1 chapters worth of notes, etc) and in no time you'll be done. I'd suggest sticking with the Linux+ and then coming back to Network+ later on.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So with the Sybex books do you really focus on just chapters 1-5 for the 101 exam and then move through the rest of the book for the 102 or do you need the entire book first? I'm trying to commit even though Yoda says there is "no try, only do" what happens is when I'm reading I see a command that I haven't tried or didn't know about it. From there i end up in a terminal trying it out, and from there I start spiraling out of control as one thing leads to another.
    I dislike the Sybex book, but if that's what you have to work with, so be it. Yes, Ch 1-5 are for 101 and the remainder of the book is for the 102 exam. To keep you focused, take a look at the LX-101 / 102 objectives:

https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1/exam-101
    https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1/exam-102
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can definitely do it in six months, but also bear in mind that there usually aren't massive sweeping changes from one test to the next. A lot of the things you will be studying now, will still be valid on the next test. If you are behind by the time the new test rolls around, compare the objectives for both and study the difference. It looks like they are just adding some modern features and utilities. That means they probably won't be changing\gutting the existing stuff from the test. I would just get started and see how far you get.
    5ekurity wrote: »
    I dislike the Sybex book, but if that's what you have to work with, so be it. Yes, Ch 1-5 are for 101 and the remainder of the book is for the 102 exam. To keep you focused, take a look at the LX-101 / 102 objectives:

https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1/exam-101
    https://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications/programs/lpic-1/exam-102

Thank You for the info.. what would be your suggestion instead of the Sybex book? The book really is dry reading, but I'm not sure how interesting reading command line stuff can be either. I'm trying not to get stuck in the experience/certification conundrum I'm by no means a paper tiger but they become a means to an end. If I had a choice I would rather be highly skilled without certs than certs with no skill - currently I'm somewhere in the grey space in the middle.
  • ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there a link showing that the Linux+ exam is being updated/renewed? I cant find anything on it.

Never mind. Found it on the LPI site.

https://www.lpi.org/blog/lpic-exam-development-update
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just for clarity, the new exam won't be *implement* until June correct? I'll be taking on Linux+ in a couple of weeks, I want to make sure the study materials I have are still relevant. Is the scenario you can choose which version to take, or is the old one going to continue to be the only and official version until June?

LPIC.org indicated:

LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 Exam Update Timeline:
    • June 1st, 2014: Publish Draft objectives for LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 on LPI wiki
    • July 15th, 2014: Publish final LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 updated exam objectives
    • January 13th, 2015: Launch of new LPIC-1 (v4.0)
    • January 20th, 2015: Launch of new LPIC-304 (v2.0)
    • June 30th, 2015: LPIC-1 (v3.5) and LPIC-304 (v1.5) retired
    --
    Jan 13th launch of new LPIC-1 V4.0? So it says Jan 13th 2015 the new exam V4.0 is launched...and June 30th 2015 the V3.5 retired.....i'm not making much sense of that..can one choose to take the V3.5 until June? (I looked @ CompTIA and pearsonvue.com websites as though i was going to buy a voucher and register for the test...it gave me no options to differentiate between V3.5 and V4.0)

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    orlandofl wrote: »
    Just for clarity, the new exam won't be *implement* until June correct? I'll be taking on Linux+ in a couple of weeks, I want to make sure the study materials I have are still relevant. Is the scenario you can choose which version to take, or is the old one going to continue to be the only and official version until June?

Hey! You can choose which version you want - v3.5 or v4.0 on the Pearson Vue catalog. I got the info from LPIC's blog site.

Btw, I'm taking LX0-101/LX0-102 the first two weeks in March too!

Coming soon in January 2015 we’re releasing new versions of the LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 exams. To help accommodate candidates in all stages of study, we’re allowing you to take the new exam or the previous version for the first half of 2015.
    Here’s what you need to know:
    We’ve changed the way we label our exams: You may have seen our LPIC-1 exam listed at Pearson VUE as 117-101. Starting in January, our exam names will now reflect the exam version. So you can expect to see the new version (4.0) of LPIC-1 represented as 101-400. If you’re not quite ready to test on the new objectives, look for the version 3.5 exam listed as 101-350.
    Likewise, you may recognize LPIC-304 as 117-304, starting with the release in January, you’ll now see it displayed at 304-200. The previous version will be designated 304-100.
    Starting in January, when you visit Pearson VUE to schedule your exam you can choose which version of the exam you wish to take. Just keep in mind that you only have until June 30th, to take the previous version of the exam.
    Good luck!

https://www.lpi.org/blog/what-you-need-know-about-lpic-1-exam-update
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    orlandofl wrote: »

LPIC.org indicated:

LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 Exam Update Timeline:
    • June 1st, 2014: Publish Draft objectives for LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 on LPI wiki
    • July 15th, 2014: Publish final LPIC-1 and LPIC-304 updated exam objectives
    • January 13th, 2015: Launch of new LPIC-1 (v4.0)
    • January 20th, 2015: Launch of new LPIC-304 (v2.0)
    • June 30th, 2015: LPIC-1 (v3.5) and LPIC-304 (v1.5) retired
    --
    Jan 13th launch of new LPIC-1 V4.0? So it says Jan 13th 2015 the new exam V4.0 is launched...and June 30th 2015 the V3.5 retired.....i'm not making much sense of that..can one choose to take the V3.5 until June? (I looked @ CompTIA and pearsonvue.com websites as though i was going to buy a voucher and register for the test...it gave me no options to differentiate between V3.5 and V4.0)

-Travis

The new exam should start showing up soon as an option but you have until June to take the V3.5. What I'm not sure about is if you take the 101 exam before June but haven't yet taken the 102, will you have to take the 101 over to get the cert.
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey,

I see the 350 exam @ Pearson/LPI (new exam-400 isn't listed yet) However Pearson/CompTIA still only have the LXO-101&102 Exams....and makes no mention as to if these LXO exams are based on the "old" or new exam.

• Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
    DntH8Me wrote: »
    Thank You for the info.. what would be your suggestion instead of the Sybex book? The book really is dry reading, but I'm not sure how interesting reading command line stuff can be either. I'm trying not to get stuck in the experience/certification conundrum I'm by no means a paper tiger but they become a means to an end. If I had a choice I would rather be highly skilled without certs than certs with no skill - currently I'm somewhere in the grey space in the middle.

From what I've found, there isn't a 'de-facto' book that covers everything on the exam. Personally, I've used LinuxAcademy.com, the Sybex book, and SelfTestSoftware (legit practice tests) to help with studying / coverage of gaps in each training medium. There is an All-In-One book written by Robb Tracey, which is supposed to be a bit easier to go through - but may not offer 100% complete coverage either.

My experience, however, is that the AIO books have been the most comprehensive - coupled with SelfTestSoftware practice tests, I have had much success with training and the exam.
    I set up a schedule last night for the 101 exam. (just a note procrastination costs money) I scheduled an hour a day for LinuxAcademy.com with a little more time on the weekends which should put me finishing up the 101 portion mid Feb. I think the trick is just being active and being accountable. In the past I really didn't plan it out or make a schedule. Just saying you are going to study may work for some but for me it seems like I skip a day which turns into a week which eventually turns into starting all over. My plan is to spend an hour on the site and work on reading the book in smaller chunks. Being overly ambitious and thinking I'm going to read a chapter a day only results in me burning out. This time I'm going to try smaller goals, pace myself and build better habbits.