Options

SSCP - required background

bmay1984bmay1984 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've read through a lot of posts on this forum regarding the SSCP prep. It seems that the majority of folks have a strong technical background going into their prep.

I, on the other hand, have been a systems analyst on the application development side, mostly writing requirements/specs, reviewing design docs, performing testing, etc...

I recently took a permanent position as an Infosec Analyst in Identity and Access management after working on a project in our security area for the last 18 mos.

Now I'm considering the SSCP exam, however, I'm concerned about my technical level of knowledge. I'm fairly technical for an analyst, but not at the level of an engineer or developer.

I'm looking for input on how technically oriented this exam is, and if I'm going to lack a foundational level knowledge and be overwhelmed by the tech speak, or is it more conceptual level where anyone that has worked in technology could pick up the material.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Sscp1986Sscp1986 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bmay1984,

Look the SSCP is more technically than the CISSP.
    But with your backgrond and hard study and understanding you will pass.

GB,
    2015: CISSP[Working on it]
  • Options
    rickberrrickberr Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be fine, just start with the candidate information bulletin for the SSCP.
    In regards to your background, it is similar to mine. I am a system analyst for an infrastructure team managing the various security items (firewall, PGP keys, proxies, load balancing, BCP/DRP, etc.) for my group. I passed by taking the official course and the accompanying materials.

I ordered these in the order of my use.

1. ISC2 SSCP Student Handbook
    2. ISC2 studISCope Self Assessment
    3. Official ISC2 SSCP CBK Webinar
    4. CCCure Quiz Engine (**free**)
    4. Official Guide to the SSCP CBK

The studISCope is as close as it can get to the actual test but the CCCure questions are very good too. The SSCP exam is definitely a technical test but you do not need to be on an engineering level. Understand the terms, understanding how it relates to management and your "customer" base and you should do fine. Also, when you are taking the practice tests, understand WHY you got the question wrong more than just remembering the correct answer and you will definitely start to see improvement as you take more practice tests.

I apologize for rambling, how this helps.

I used the full three hours but I actually went through every question on the test at least twice.