Options

Cant find a IT Job

moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, newbie here so take it easy :D

I am trying to find a good first IT job. Right now I am working in a break/fix job fixing printers and computers. I graduated in 2009 with a BS in Networking. I put out a lot of resumes for the next few years and got nothing. Finally got hired for what I am doing right now.

I have my A+ and that's it. I did take Cisco classes in College and really liked that and learned a lot. All of my other classes I really did not learn a lot so I have no idea what I am doing. We had one class day on Windows Server 2003 and that was it. So I have no Windows Server experience.

I am so discouraged right now because I cant find a simple help desk or Tech support and any beginners jobs and about to give up. Everybody wants people with real world experience and Windows Server experience.

I am think about getting a paid subscription to ITProTV. Have you guys hear or use it? I want to get my Network + cert then maybe then work on CCNA. I am also think about Windows Server but I been reading on hear it is hard :D

I would love to hear everybody's thoughts on this.

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• Options
    jhntbrightjhntbright Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to be proud of yourself meanwhile others still wishing for one BS. You had a BS in Networking in 2009 which means at least perfect for an education but somehow it does not mean bringing you a jobs like others after graduation unless you're well prepared to the luck. People was working and working harder and harder for a target then we expected it right away, anyhow hope you understand what i stated. Anyway, you still have a jobs to do like fixing printers and computer how about let's think about others are still unemployed and still finding for jobs. You can test out yourself to discover which positions of IT you like; you favorite what to do then go straight for it, you will get it. Here are some hinds for Networking: Network+, CCNA, CCNP. Microsoft: Now you got A+ then go for MCSA, MCSE. Servers. For Security+, CASP, CISSP, ect. Take commitment to work from them, devote time to study until you feel confidence for yourself then take a test if fail, re-study what you've missed then take it again, until you pass and move on...update them on resume you will see the difference thereafter. Good luck!
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    howdy
    So this is why i didint get a degree. I knew i wanted to do I.T. (didin know what specifically) but i knew a degree didint really mean much in light of being able to troubleshoot etc. So i started working gaining experience since thats where it counts, and i got certs.

SO your first IT job is the hardest thing ever to get. your in the field now (entry level) which is pretty much what a degree and no other experience will get you. You really gotta earn your way to the top in this field. So with that said, your doing great! Keep doing that for a little, but always be looking, always be applying. Use good keywords in your resume with things you have worked with, remote desktop, troubleshooting etc. You will get something dont worry.

For interviews and such, be a friendly guy. There are so many rock personalities in I.T. a good positive attitude personable I.T. guy is the kind that gets hired at my job. Be confident to, you have a degree, your getting experience, DO NOT get down on yourself. Your doing exactly how you should be, just like I had to, and probably the majority of us. Get some certifications, you will be amazed how just one cert can push you to the next level with your small experience behind you.

WIth all that said, where do you live? Im in orange county CA and im looking for entry level networking support. A person like you (granted you can make a nice resume, dress nice, and walk and talk like a champ) would fit. We like to see them at their wits end, when applying. Usually makes a harder working more appreciative employee. But if your ever ever asked "so how is the job market out there" (Ive had that a lot). I say "Its not as bad as the media makes it to be, its just more competitive than it used to be"
    Best of luck and keep going man, you will hit your break!
  • Options
    ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of companies like applicants to have some form of degree now whether its needed to do the job or not. I believe a mix of higher education, certs and experience covers all the bases for most jobs :D
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While you are working, keep learning and getting certified. I would think Network+ or CCENT would be a good next step. In your shoes, knowing what I do now, I would go for the CCENT. Its way cheaper to get than Network+ and its the first of 2 exams needed for a CCNA. The CCNA will get you further than a Network+ (IMHO). I normally dont recommend any of the Microsoft MTA exams, but since you have no server experience, the MTA 98-365: Windows Server Fundamentals will get you a good taste. It covers Active Directory on Server 2008 and that is important for Help Desk jobs as they do a lot of password resets and unlocking of accounts.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ssnyderu2 wrote: »
    While you are working, keep learning and getting certified. I would think Network+ or CCENT would be a good next step. In your shoes, knowing what I do now, I would go for the CCENT. Its way cheaper to get than Network+ and its the first of 2 exams needed for a CCNA. The CCNA will get you further than a Network+ (IMHO). I normally dont recommend any of the Microsoft MTA exams, but since you have no server experience, the MTA 98-365: Windows Server Fundamentals will get you a good taste. It covers Active Directory on Server 2008 and that is important for Help Desk jobs as they do a lot of password resets and unlocking of accounts.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going Network+ first then go for CCENT and then CCNA. So you think it would be better going for the CCNET first?

My employer will pay for some of the cert exams. Network+ and CCNET. Then I am on my own after that.

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't find a job either. I do have the degree. The one and only one interview, it was'nt even a requirement, although in my mind I though it would be a plus. I have the CCENT and will take ICND2 in a couple of weeks then head over to the local college that has a Cisco Netacad and offer to be a tutor

I'm disillusioned
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    moparbob wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going Network+ first then go for CCENT and then CCNA. So you think it would be better going for the CCNET first?

I would say go for the CCENT the CCNA. For economic reasons its $23.00 more to get the full CCNA than the Network+ and it will carry you farther.

Exam Prices: Network+ - 1 Exam - $277.00 CCENT - 1 Exam - $150.00 CCNA Routing $ Switching - 1 Exam - $150.00

I am just now studying for my CCENT, but I have been told that the CCENT gives you the same information as the Network+ plus the foundation level Cisco information. The CCNA R&S will greatly expand on the Cisco information.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I can't find a job either. I do have the degree. The one and only one interview, it was'nt even a requirement, although in my mind I though it would be a plus. I have the CCENT and will take ICND2 in a couple of weeks then head over to the local college that has a Cisco Netacad and offer to be a tutor

I'm disillusioned

In your case I would think the A+ would be helpful to have on the resume. Not so much because its this great cert to have, but because I have see so many job REQUIRE that cert. If you apply for a federal or state job they wont even consider you with out it. So I would get it and keep it current just to satisfy that resume requirement. 1 year of Help Desk is worth more than the A+. However the A+ with your CCENT my get you going. Also, it would be worth while to take the second exam and get your CCNA. It will be recognized quicker and easier by HR/Recruiters that the CCENT. You just have to have the CCENT (Which your do) to sit for CCNA.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    ssnyderu2 wrote: »
    I would say go for the CCENT the CCNA. For economic reasons its $23.00 more to get the full CCNA than the Network+ and it will carry you farther.

Exam Prices: Network+ - 1 Exam - $277.00 CCENT - 1 Exam - $150.00 CCNA Routing $ Switching - 1 Exam - $150.00

I am just now studying for my CCENT, but I have been told that the CCENT gives you the same information as the Network+ plus the foundation level Cisco information. The CCNA R&S will greatly expand on the Cisco information.

Most people dnt take just the CCNA exam, they take the ccent first then the ccna. (cisco suggests this)
    The new ccent is much harder than the N+. I passed the N+ with a good score, and got a job as a network tech. Now im taking the CCENT and then make it a CCNA.

The OLD CCent was the N+ with like one chapter additional on it. Not anymore, the new CCENT is the old CCNA, and it is much more difficult, and defiantely covers more material than the N+.

CCENT = $150.00 then ICND2 = $150. So CCNA= 300 (not counting material fees which would be more than N+)

Personally i say get the N+ build a foundation, then progress to the CCENT and so on. ICND1 classes are pretty much Network+ with a little cisco thrown in. But you need to to ICND1 and 2 for the CCENT. And then ICND3 and 4 to test for CCNA.

Some employers like the N+ because it not proprietary to cisco.

Your choice, but the "ccent is same as N+" is not true any more at all. The ccent is a harder test, and you will have to know id say 40% more than the N+