Options

How to get good first IT Job

moparbobmoparbob Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, newbie here so take it easy icon_biggrin.gif

I am trying to find a good first IT job. Right now I am working in a break/fix job fixing printers and computers. I graduated in 2009 with a BS in Networking. I put out a lot of resumes for the next few years and got nothing. Finally got hired for what I am doing right now.

I have my A+ and that's it. I did take Cisco classes in College and really liked that and learned a lot. All of my other classes I really did not learn a lot so I have no idea what I am doing. We had one class day on Windows Server 2003 and that was it. So I have no Windows Server experience.

I am so discouraged right now because I cant find a simple help desk or Tech support and any beginners jobs and about to give up. Everybody wants people with real world experience and Windows Server experience.

I am think about getting a paid subscription to ITProTV. Have you guys hear or use it? I want to get my Network + cert then maybe then work on CCNA. I am also think about Windows Server but I been reading on hear it is hard icon_biggrin.gif

I would love to hear everybody's thoughts on this. icon_cheers.gif

Thanks everybody.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just stray motivated and keep on accumulating knowledge. The break fix position will help you get the Helpdesk position, and the Helpdesk position will help you get the networking position. In the mean time, dont give up, stay up to date and relevant and study for your Network+, there are a lot of resources online that you can use. Youtube and Wikipedia are 2 free ones with huge amount of information. Yes, people that have experience they get hire first, but for someone that just starts out, you need to learn first and then apply it so you can get the experience. You have a long way ahead of you, if the IT field interests you, then you will make it but you also have to have a passion for it and not see it only for the money, the money will come with time.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Where do you reside??? Location is everything.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Where do you reside??? Location is everything.

PA, I plan on moving. Not sure where though. I just dont know how to move because I would have to quit my job then move and somehow find a job after I get settled in. I don't have too much money saved up either....lol
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It takes time and making your resume look the best it can. It took me a while to land the job I am at now, continue to learn and grab a few more certs to make your resume stand out.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll play devil's advocate, what have you been doing since 2009 to make someone want to hire you? I'm not saying the market in 2009 was great, or that the area in PA you are from might have a good job market, but there are a lot of ways to make yourself look more attractive to employers.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I'll play devil's advocate, what have you been doing since 2009 to make someone want to hire you? I'm not saying the market in 2009 was great, or that the area in PA you are from might have a good job market, but there are a lot of ways to make yourself look more attractive to employers.

I will admit it. Past 3 years I just been lazy because of this stupid Break/fix job. It drains the life out of you. I cover probably an 1/8 of the state. Also did you every here of an IT company installing Mobile Alert systems? WOW!!!!

Right after I graduated I put my resume out left and right and only had maybe 4 or 5 interviews.
  • Options
    moparbob wrote: »
    I will admit it. Past 3 years I just been lazy because of this stupid Break/fix job. It drains the life out of you. I cover probably an 1/8 of the state. Also did you every here of an IT company installing Mobile Alert systems? WOW!!!!

Right after I graduated I put my resume out left and right and only had maybe 4 or 5 interviews.

My suggestion is to skip the Network +. Get your CCNA and Security +. There alot of DOD and DHS jobs in MD/VA/DC. Look to reside there. Find a company that is willing to run a secret clearance. Apply for a NOC and/or Network Administrator position.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well you have come back to a certification forum which is a great start.

So in college you didn't feel like you learned much. That's probably like 99% of people that are in college. However if you tried at all then you probably learned a little bit about how to learn and that's the real benefit of college. It prepares you to continue learning in life.

I think Network+ is a good idea to expand your knowledge. If you like it you might want to test. If you don't then just learn it and move on to another topic. You need to find something you enjoy so you will focus on it.

I have recently been reading
    [h=1]Microsoft Windows Server Administration Essentials
    [/h]
    Wiley: Microsoft Windows Server Administration Essentials - Tom Carpenter

It's a pretty easy read and will give you a pretty good idea about windows 2008 servers. As long as you are working in something IT related your next goal is to figure out what you enjoy so you can pursue it.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My suggestion is to skip the Network +. Get your CCNA and Security +. There alot of DOD and DHS jobs in MD/VA/DC. Look to reside there. Find a company that is willing to run a secret clearance. Apply for a NOC and/or Network Administrator position.

I think he would be better of going for the Network +, i have a friend who recently started a training seminar for CCNA and his instructor the first thing he said to the class was that he liked to see a full class everyday but unfortunately there are so many people that have no networking foundations whatsoever that by the time the seminar ends, he is teaching a CCNA class to about 5 people. Having a solid foundation would help later on, better to walk slowly first and then start running.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This has been touched on but you need to make things happen for yourself. If you get your CCNA you will appeal more to employers. Never stop studying. Never stop learning.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I think he would be better of going for the Network +, i have a friend who recently started a training seminar for CCNA and his instructor the first thing he said to the class was that he liked to see a full class everyday but unfortunately there are so many people that have no networking foundations whatsoever that by the time the seminar ends, he is teaching a CCNA class to about 5 people. Having a solid foundation would help later on, better to walk slowly first and then start running.

I disagree where he should study and take the Network+. I do agree he needs a Network foundation but there is no need for him to spend money on taking the Network+ if he decides to go for the CCNA.

If you want a foundation on Network then get a Network+ book read it. Additionally, you can watch Professor Messer video free on youtube. Take about a month or 2. Then start studying for the CCNA.

Security+ CE is a MUST if one wants to work in the DOD/DHS/DOS sector.
  • Options

Excellent recommendation. I have this on my Kindle. Very easy read and what I recommend for users that want to see what Server 2008R2 is like.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Think outside the box. What skills do you want to learn, focus less on the title and more on the skills. For example if you want to learn about server technologies what about working for a small company that does setup for small servers at S2M sized businesses? Also be willing to move. I've moved 6 times in the past 7 years and that is probably the single largest impact to where I am now.

So:

Think outside the box, you don't have to do the helpdesk thing unless you want to. You can totally skip that path. Often times you will get advice based on how people got to where they went. If you follow the common advice you will be competing against everyone else who follows the common advice. Look for opportunities that build the SKILLS you want regardless of the title. You may not even be part of "IT" maybe you take a telecommunications technician role and that in turn teaches you network setup and server setup. Who knows....