new member & career change

shocktattooershocktattooer Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm a middle aged guy (42) from Ga who just found out that my airline job of 22 years is about to be outsourced so I'm starting on my IT certifications and hoping to make a career change. I've been doing tech work on the side since the days of the AMD386 so I'm pretty well versed with building and repairing systems. I also have some experience with Linux, built a few systems just to mess around with, the latest one being a media server running ubuntu and plex that I built from some parts I had laying around. I've built websites, leased server space for resale, c-panel, some SQL and general admin associated with maintaining web servers. But till now it's pretty much all been self taught.

I'm not really sure which area I want to focus on, I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of networking or sysadmin. I just picked up the Mike Meyers A+ and network+ books and have been going through the professor messer videos as well as doing A+ practice exams. Ive pretty much got the 801 section down but memorizing the 802 info is pretty frustrating. Any tips for that section? just repetition and committing it to memory?

I'm also considering doing the linux+ certification after these two but I'm not sure if it would just be a waste at this point.

What are the job prospects for someone my age getting started in IT? I dont have a college degree, I went to college for my AAS as a Commercial Pilot and dropped out a few credits short of my degree but that was 15 yrs ago. The closest metro area to me is Jacksonville, Fl. about 30-45 south.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear about the airline job. I'm in printing and feeling a similar need to change careers.

I would pursue the Linux+ if I were you. There is a demand for Linux and it's not something everyone enjoys or is willing to spend the time on. It might just be what sets you apart from the other candidates when you are job hunting.

Good Luck!
  • shocktattooershocktattooer Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Jon, I actually found a prospective employer that combines aviation and IT, seems like a really good fit for me. They have positions ranging from general tech support through linux network admin. Now I just need to get cracking on my certs
  • jcameronjcameron Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    42 isn't exactly middle-aged anymore, plus it has negative connotations attached to it, so stop calling yourself that. It's still relatively young, and you should be excited about starting a new career. I had a friend who was in your shoes and he started off working in tech support and moved on pretty successfully from there.

I think starting with the A+ and Network+ is a wise choice. I hope you get that job. It sounds perfect for you. Good luck!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Realistically speaking, you're going to have to finish your AAS degree and get a few certifications to even get considered. IT is very age-discriminatory and it doesn't help that people like Mark Zuckerberg have said "If you're over 30, you're a slow old man." Btw, I'm a slow old man too! Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown