Options

Career change (help)

TheAmericanTheAmerican Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been thinking about doing a career change (from banking to IT/security) going to pull the trigger here soon

I have a BS in Finance and looking to get my masters in cybersecurity. I've been searching a found a master program at UMUC (online). I understand I need to get my cert along with my degree but kinda lost at where to start.

- Should I go for the A+ while doing my masters
- Would a master in cybersecurity from UMUC help? Don't know to much about online schools.
- What kind of jobs should I start looking for? (helps desk, information security,,,etc) and how likely will I land a job with no degree or experience in IT?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Anything in particular make you want to go from banking to specifically IT Security?
  • Options
    reboot570reboot570 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Start with the Security+ for certs I guess? I think its unlikely to be a swift transition so if was you, I would delay enrolling in the masters. I see five years experience+ regularly for network security engineer positions.
  • Options
    Always wanted to get into IT security or something computer related but I saw that the money was in banking. So I sold my soul and now I want it back.

I understand my pay will drop dramatically but I have prepared for it and can handle it.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Have you considered going for an associates degree in IT/Computer Networking and/or doing entry level certs? Master's degrees aren't very helpful for entry level jobs, but I don't have much work experience anyway.
  • Options
    So I should skip the A+?
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you are on the right track. Consider A+ which will get you through the door for a entry level position. Security+ wouldn't benefit you for what path you are trying to take at this exact moment, but should be considered after you have obtained a job. Most help desk position aren't looking for Security+. In regards to schools, it is all about you and what the school offers, yes most people on this site suggest WGU but honestly I have never heard of WGU until I got on this site. Unless you are going to Harvard or Yale or in a state where the College you attended gets you a interview I dont think the school makes a significant difference. I could go into for profit vs. not for profit but you can get the pros/cons from outside of this site. Not WGU bashing but if you go to any site and type in "WGU reviews" you get way more bad than good then get on techexams and its the best ever ......I would work on the degree also, by the time you finish it you should be looking for another job and more frequently I see Bachelors Mandatory for positions. or Associates X years Experience Bacheors X years of Experience Masters 0 years

p.s. Help Desk Level 1 is a stepping stone. Minimal 1 year max 2 years if money is tight, just for experience and experience only
  • Options
    Since I already have my bachelors and the master's would take 2 years (doing spring, summer, fall)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Last time I checked the money is in Security.

I would look for an information security position, might have to start off at the operations level but it's better than starting off on the help desk IMO.

Worse case scenario try to get an Access control position. (That's just my take)
  • Options
    So when it comes to entry level work help desk would be the way to go.

Some of my friends work in HR and told me around my area UMUC was good.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Last time I checked the money is in Security.

I would look for an information security position, might have to start off at the operations level but it's better than starting off on the help desk IMO.

Worse case scenario try to get an Access control position. (That's just my take)

With banking you can easily start making good money just with a degree. It was easy, quick, and good money.

So ranking the positions would you say;
    1- info security position
    2- help desk
    3- access control
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In general, here are the "normal" steps a lot of people take in order to break into IT:

1. Study and sit for the CompTIA A+ cert. The A+ is typically the entry-level cert for desktop computer repair and helpdesk positions. Think Geek Squad.
    2. Study and sit for the CompTIA Network+ cert. This is a broad overview of how networks are set up and the technologies behind the internet.
    3. Study and sit for the CompTIA Security+ cert. This is a broad overview of network and computer security.

Those three certs give a good foundation of knowledge regarding workstations/desktop computer setup, troubleshooting, and repair, wired and wireless networks, and how to secure them. They will by no means make you an expert. After about three years of work experience in IT, they lose their value. Having this broad understanding will possibly give you pointers as to which sub-field in IT most interests you. That direction can be priceless.

Be aware, CompTIA's tests are relatively expensive, all things considered. Here is a breakdown of the costs of each certification and the loosely analogous exams by technology vendors:

Both the CompTIA A+ and the MCSA: Windows 7 require two tests, the former costing $194 per test and the latter costing $150. You'd save $88 going for the MCSA over the A+.

Pros of A+: Often times, a requirement to get your foot in the door so that you can wow the HR/HM personnel during the interview.
    Cons of A+: Expensive, very entry-level, needs to be renewed every three years.

Pros of MCSA: Very in-depth knowledge necessary to pass the test, over 50% of the world's computers appear to be running Windows 7, and vast majority of end-user issues that aren't the fault of the end-user tend to be software related (drivers, applications, botched updates, etc).
    Cons of MCSA: Not hardware oriented (which really isn't a con unless the employer wants someone who is a computer repair technician as opposed to a Windows desktop admin).

In the networking world, the Cisco way is the most dominant. Some here have noted that getting the CCENT (first test to take for the CCNA, unless you take the composite test) is a step or so above the CompTIA Network+ cert. The CCENT and CCNA tests are each $150. The Network+ is $277. Thus, if you received your CCNA, you would have spent roughly $300.

Pros of Network+: broad overview of networking principles and technologies.
    Cons of Network+: broad overview of networking principles and technologies. Must be renewed every three years.

Pros of CCENT/CCNA: a lot of companies, even those that don't have Cisco equipment, want their network admins to have the CCNA. The CCENT is sort of like the Network+ along with knowledge of Cisco commands. Generally, the $300 spent on certifying for the CCNA will be much better spent than the $23 saved getting the Network+.
    Cons of CCENT/CCNA: some HR folks demand the Network+, even if the applicant has the CCNA...which is mind-boggling, to say the least. Must be renewed every three years.

As for the Security+ certification, there are several other security certs out there, but, a lot of them tend to have minimum experience requirements. As such, the Security+ cert seems to be in an odd class by itself and may justify its $302 price tag. Quite a few SOCs will have the Security+ as the entry-level security cert they are looking for, knowing that over time you will meet the experience requirement and can sit for more stringent, sought after certifications (CISSP, for instance). Like the others, this one does require periodic recertification.

Having said all of that, my biggest suggestion to you is this: go find the IT manager for the company you work for. Ask him/her what qualifications are most in demand, go buy a book on the subject (based on ratings at Amazon or B&N), read through the book, look over some Professor Messer videos, then decide if it is worth pursuing. Naturally, if it is a passion, you will do well. Otherwise, you might find yourself very frustrated in the long run.

As for the degree, you already have a bachelor degree, so that is one box ticked, unless they require an IT/Compute Science specific degree. UMUC is a good school, well enough recognized. They have a dual degree program (Masters level), where you get a M.Sc. IT and an MBA. That will potentially leverage your experience in Finance. A lot of employers that I have spoken to in Denver would love a few folks with an MBA, plus IT certs. Check into that.

As an aside, the sheriff in the county I live in is seeking reserve deputies with finance experience so that they can assist with investigating finance fraud. I would think that getting some certs, getting some experience, earning your M.Sc. in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigations, coupled with your banking experience, would put you on an interesting career track. Not to mention, if you are under 37 when you get your M.Sc., the FBI would be interested.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    @ stryder144

Thanks a lot man. Will look into the MBA option and get started on A+
  • Options
    davepac7davepac7 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Stryder144,

Thanks for providing this detailed information for The American. It's helping countless others like myself, most of which aren't registered in this forum but stumbled upon this post.

I was wondering if you had some ideas where in the cyber security field I could fit in. I'm going to take a three week A+, Network+, and Security+ boot camp that's paid for by the city of Washington, DC in March and hoping to find employment preferably in California or other warm states. I'm even considering Brazil, which offers a considerable amount of paid vacation, something I greatly value.

I have a BA in filmmaking with a focus in film producing, the business side of film. I was an editor, TV cameraman, and have done countless other film or TV related gigs in Los Angeles for three years. Because of the lack of stability of work and extremely low wages I found a job selling Hondas and within 2 months landed another job selling Mercedes's. I devoured the sales trainings and noticed that a traditional (non-film job) is far far easier to excel in. In my second month at Mercedes my sales performance was already average compared to the other sales people here, which have at the very least 20 years of experience being car salesmen or even general managers of dealerships.

Long story short, I'm choosing cyber security as a career simply because the field is in demand, plus I'm already familiar with setting up home networks and to a lesser degree networks for small companies. It is intellectually challenging (car sales is not) and is an honorable career to pursue.

Film is something I want to do in my free time, more as a hobby, or to help non-profits. Additional information: I have dual-citizenship US/German so I'm able to work in all of Europe, plus I speak both English and German fluently.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas. Of course, I value anyone else's ideas, too.

David
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been thinking about doing a career change (from banking to IT/security) going to pull the trigger here soon

I have a BS in Finance and looking to get my masters in cybersecurity. I've been searching a found a master program at UMUC (online). I understand I need to get my cert along with my degree but kinda lost at where to start.

- Should I go for the A+ while doing my masters
    - Would a master in cybersecurity from UMUC help? Don't know to much about online schools.
    - What kind of jobs should I start looking for? (helps desk, information security,,,etc) and how likely will I land a job with no degree or experience in IT?

Thanks

You already have the advantage of dealing with financials. My recommendation would be to go CISM/CISA/CISSP associate. Especially if you are heading for your masters. Skip all the other crap unless you really have an undying need to learn it or something.

Oh and if you want big bucks in IT go MBA
  • Options
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    davepac7 wrote: »
    Thanks...

You already a have a degree. All you need now are certs and experience. InfoSec certs include: Security+, CASP, SCCP, CISSP( the money maker ). I don't know much about the Cali IT market for InfoSec. I assume US military bases will require you have a Secret to Top Secret Clearance. The COMPTIA certs are a good way to establish an understanding and will pad your resume. Most of the people that got into InfoSEC are usually NOC guys that fell into SOC positions or Pen Testers that got those positions. Like anything else it's about networking and luck. You could get a SOC position in 2 years or take 10 years.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    davepac7 wrote: »
    Thanks...

If you really are open to moving anywhere, and are able to do so for a time period, I do know that if you can find an IT job in UAE (Dubai) the money is ridiculous and you can gain some rather good experience over there and move up quickly. It's not for everyone, and I couldn't do it since i have a wife/kid and just couldn't swing it. If I were younger and had no other responsibilities I would have jumped at something over there in a heartbeat.

(Bonus, it's warm there lol)
  • Options
    Ahntran thanks for your overview. It's good to know that a non-IT degree helps to get a job in this field.

Meandrunk I did some minor research and found the following salaries posted for the Emirates:
    Network Administrator Salaries in UAE | GulfTalent.com

The salaries listed here don't look nearly as attractive as US salaries. Is that because the UAE will provide housing and relocation costs? Or are the salaries posted in this link not an accurate view on actual salaries over there?

I've considered Qatar or Dubai before because I'm Muslim and would like to experience living in a Muslim country once. I am a little intimidated by how different their culture is and what I'm seeing in the media. But indeed, it is warm there icon_lol.gif

Thanks,