Options

types of cable to use for connecting devices

x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
I want to get this straight. You are connecting a computer to a switch so you use a straight through cable, now to connect the switch to a router you also use a straight through cable. I have argue with a friend that he is saying that you should use a crossover cable to connect the switch and the router.

I thought that you use of straight through cable is to connect devices that are different while crossover will be use for devices that are the same like two routers or two switches.

im confused icon_confused.gif

also what about serial and rollover cables? how do you use those?
There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I am wrong someone correct me but...The way I remember it if the device operates at layer 2 or below it has 1 type of connection. If it operates at layer 3 or higher it has a different type of connection. An for connecting like device you use a cross-over and for different devices you use a straight-through(also know as a patch cable). So to answer your question it would be a straight-through.
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    good quest......d book says cross but for d routers i've used it's straight....yo wasted time i've noticed that u have a 3m fiber course cert....wha level is that intro?
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It was done through a military course, it wasn't real hard but gave some good hands on. we just had to make fiber cables with different kinds of connectors SC, FC, ST hotmelt and epoxy connectors. Plus multiple mechanical splicing and fusion. Also had to work with fiber closures. I kind of listed it last because it was the easiest cert I have had even if it is a cert that is highly valued for cable installation.
  • Options
    kplabkplab Member Posts: 101
    A straight-through cable is used to connect:
    - A router or computer to a hub or switch.

A cross-over cable is used to connect:
    - A hub or switch to another hub or switch.
    - A router or computer to another router or computer.

However, many newer Ethernet NICs, switches and hubs automatically apply an internal crossover when necessary. This feature is known as Auto-MDI/MDI-X. This eliminates the need for crossover cables.

A rolled cable (also known as roll-over cable) is used to connect:
    - A computer COM port (with a DB-9 to RJ-45 adapter) to a router console port.
    KPLAB
    www.kp-lab.com - Free CCNA, CCNP, and Network+ Study Guides
  • Options
    kplab wrote:
    However, many newer Ethernet NICs, switches and hubs automatically apply an internal crossover when necessary. This feature is known as Auto-MDI/MDI-X. This eliminates the need for crossover cables.

thanks didn't know that b 4......
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote:
    It was done through a military course, it wasn't real hard but gave some good hands on. we just had to make fiber cables with different kinds of connectors SC, FC, ST hotmelt and epoxy connectors. Plus multiple mechanical splicing and fusion. Also had to work with fiber closures. I kind of listed it last because it was the easiest cert I have had even if it is a cert that is highly valued for cable installation.

I did the 3M intro course.....
  • Options
    kplab wrote:
    A straight-through cable is used to connect:
    - A router or computer to a hub or switch.

A cross-over cable is used to connect:
    - A hub or switch to another hub or switch.
    - A router or computer to another router or computer.

A rolled cable (also known as roll-over cable) is used to connect:
    - A computer COM port (with a DB-9 to RJ-45 adapter) to a router console port.

thank you so much man. so let me get this straight. you use a crossover if you are connecting a computer/router, computer/computer, router/router, hub/hub, switch/switch and switch/hub

for straight through cable you use router or computer to a hub or a switch

im i correct?
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    yup thats pretty much it,

Think of computer and router in Group A, hub/switch group B

if connection different groups together straight through, same group connection is crossover
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    kplab's discussion is right on, but I will tell you that the BEST way to learn this, is to apply it yourself. Try your connections with both types of cable. You will KNOW what works and what doesn't. There is no better "training aid," than DOING.

Good luck,

Mike
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    Yeah, also I have to remember to put a rollover cable to connecting to computer to router for administrative telnet purposes

Man I have no router or equipment. I have to relie on simulations and graphics.