Options

What did you give up to get certified?

13»

Comments

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have only giving up sleep, but am working on it. Would like to go from 6 to 7 or 8.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Nothing, as I haven't done any cert in years.

I realized early on that there is no end to how much you can learn, and the reward is not great. Just another day in the mediocre corporate world. I see people giving up health, marriages, family time, hobbies, sleep(health/aging)...so they can get a cert and get some money in return?

Granted, when you die or heck even when you're 10 yrs older you wouldn't wish that you studied for one more (expired) cert, you'd wish that you lived a little and enjoyed your youth and health when you can.

Enjoy life, it's too short.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Not a damn thing, benefits of being retired and owning my home and having a retirement income.

Actually, I take that back, I gave up a weekend fishing last summer, while I was taking a test. But once I passed I spent the next week fishing with my wife and living in the 5th wheel trailer.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree with UnixGuy 100%. I think it can be done in balance. Get certs that matter not certa that don't. Ex: Linux+ doesn't mean as much as CISSP. Is it nice to have yes. Is it worth it, no. In the end, it's just another piece of paper. Once they expire that's it unless you maintain it. It's good to get them when your young and balance it out. Have a plan on certs you want to do. When I'm in school, it's certs and classwork. When I work, it's work, 1 cert here and there that's reasonable and worth it like CISSP or CCNP then life. Worked my ass off for to long in school to not enjoy myself when I work. My dad always told me balance and you can be the jack of all trades and the master of none. The quote is in a previous post I wrote. Education I agree is important yes but at the same time, I'm human with interests (video games guitar etc. ) Life has it's complications as it is why add more to the fire just to watch it blow up in your face? No thanks.