Options

Windows server or CCNA security

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a dilemma regarding on my next career step. I am currently doing support for a financial firm and i am trying to decided if i should study for Windows administration or continue the networking route (i already have the CCNA). I work with Active Directory more then i do with Networks, but i like Networking more than windows stuff.

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the same boat. I had my heart set on networking(still do) but work more with servers. I am studying for the MCSA currently, reason being I work with servers right now and having that knowledge will only benefit me. I still hope to end up in more of a networking role. At the end of the day having knowledge in both area will only help you, so why not study for windows administration while you have exposure to it.
  • Options
    ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Because if i study for windows admin and get a networking role then i will forget what i learned about windows admin.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Which ever one interest you.

Don't make decision based on short term situations, rather long term career focused goals.

JMHO
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Find another position either within the company or another company as a Network Administrator.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you like Networking more than Windows, then go with Cisco certs. Honestly, I'd avoid CCNA: S unless you plan on fully going down the security tree and plan on going into the infosec field. I think I'd rather go with a CCNP. Reason is I don't feel I learned a ton with the Security cert that I didn't already know with the CCNA and Security+. And in reality, knowing what you are protecting is more important than learning how to protect it.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    If you like Networking more than Windows, then go with Cisco certs. Honestly, I'd avoid CCNA: S unless you plan on fully going down the security tree and plan on going into the infosec field. I think I'd rather go with a CCNP. Reason is I don't feel I learned a ton with the Security cert that I didn't already know with the CCNA and Security+. And in reality, knowing what you are protecting is more important than learning how to protect it.

OP sounds exactly like me. Same industry and situation. Anyway, this gentleman gave me the same advice for the CCNA: Security. I am actually studying for it though since I do not have the Sec+, and he is correct in that a lot of stuff covered in the intense and in depth CCNA R&S is covered in the CCNA Sec. But, it goes over things like ASAs and some other stuff that there's some value in (more so if you don't have the sec +). It's something you can bang out relatively quickly if you have the R&S and will refresh you on some stuff. If you plan on going heavy into security, you will need more than the CCNA Sec. You don't learn nearly as much like you do in the R&S.