Options

Net+ Subnetting and VSLM

BlueRozeBlueRoze Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
I teach Net+ in a shortened two week class. We teach subnetting, but we teach how to break up the Classes into smaller and equal units, we don't get into VSLM, just give the definition and a workbook they can get into later if they really want to know how to subnet in that way. I've had two classes that said they felt like they didn't know how to subnet properly, especially when it came to the simulator, those who get it. I have been trying to figure out why they would not be able to subnet since we refresh subnetting quite often before they take the test and we spend a day and a half on it. The only thing I can figure out is that maybe they need to understand how to perform variable subnetting.

So, just a yes or no so that it doesn't sound like I'm question digging... do you feel like someone needs to beable to solve variable subnets for the test? Would it be worth taking the extra time to teach it? I don't teach supernetting either, but I usually show them what it is once (since it's not complicated) in case they need to know what it is for a question.

Comments

• Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd just break it out in binary format for them and ensure they understand CIDR notation for the Network+, CCNA goes into a lot more detail in regards to subnetting, supernetting, CIDR notation, etc. but it's not that prominent in the Network+ (at least the N10-005)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not taken Net+ so I can't speak to the test. However if you are allowed to point them to outside resources I would consider suggesting this site.

subnetting.net - Subnet Questions and Answers
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Find different ways to explain it. Everyone perspective is different.

Writing it out in binary, and making sure they know how to convert decimal to binary very well is the foundation no matter how you do this.

and now my method I WISH someone had taught me, I just searched the internet for a forum and found a guy telling me like it is.

Just explain how to do it.
    so

192.168.10.35/27

Count up to the next block of 8. which would be 32.
    So, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32. Thats 5 numbers up. Two to the power of 5 = 32 So your subnets are increments of 32 ( oh and -2 is your hosts)

etc.
    From there you can explain the host range.

Now, how many is /27 over the previous block of 8 (24) well thats 3. 25,26,27. and 2 power of 3 = 8. 8 Subents

I understand you already know how to do this, but i wanted to explain it how i wish someone would have. I understood the inner workings of the binary and all of that. I just wanted someone to say "here this is how you do it".

I advise this for people that "get it" but cant do it. This was my problem anyhow.

Finding different ways of doing the same thing help people that dont learn it the way others do.

Now honestly the N+ dosnt really have much subnetting if any at all.

Just make sure they know the cidr notation, and how it looks written out 255.255.255.0,