Options

A+, Now to look for a job

MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got A+ certified and now looking around the DC/NOVA area for entry level Help Desk positions. I have minimal IT support(Peer support) experience, but looking to start officially in an IT position. Does anyone in this area know companies that are a good starting point? I have actually accepted two offers but those companies are dragging their feet in the hiring process.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Best of luck to you.

I was just in DC during xmas to visit family and took a quick look on job sites and found tons of jobs, so there out there....

However in the DC area, you might want to get your Security +, since most jobs in the area are Gov't or DOD and that's like a requirement for your foot in the door.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also in NoVa, for now. In the military so I can't really give you any advice on where to look aside from the usual contractors. You can probably get in the door somewhere with A+, but as Deathmage said Security+ is the big one for fed jobs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I wanted to go for the Sec+ but now thinking about Net+ first only because I am not that confident on my Network information. Maybe I will rethink it.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Codyy wrote: »
    Also in NoVa, for now. In the military so I can't really give you any advice on where to look aside from the usual contractors. You can probably get in the door somewhere with A+, but as Deathmage said Security+ is the big one for fed jobs.

Security + is a MUST if you are trying to get into government contracting jobs. I was quickly placed by TekSystems and KForce. Eventually, converted over to the PRIME both times.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Security + is a MUST if you are trying to get into government contracting jobs. I was quickly placed by TekSystems and KForce. Eventually, converted over to the PRIME both times.

Great to know, thanks! I actually received two job offers from just receiving my A+, but I am sure that the Sec+ would open even more doors.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    MattyIceVA wrote: »
    Great to know, thanks! I actually received two job offers from just receiving my A+, but I am sure that the Sec+ would open even more doors.

Is there a specific track you want to get into? System Administration( = Windows/Linux ) OR Network Administration( Cisco )? If you figure this out you can start making a plan to get either MCSA or CCNA certification path which will garner you more $$$. Additionally, I suggest you get an ITILv3 cert. Oddly enough many companies are asking their IT guys to get this cert.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Is there a specific track you want to get into? System Administration( = Windows/Linux ) OR Network Administration( Cisco )? If you figure this out you can start making a plan to get either MCSA or CCNA certification path which will garner you more $$$. Additionally, I suggest you get an ITILv3 cert. Oddly enough many companies are asking their IT guys to get this cert.

Other then starting a Help Desk position, I really have no plan and not sure which direction to go. If I get the hang of things I will probably go towards the CCNA.