Options

Harmless or no?

CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently in the military and will be separating within 9-10 months. I have a resume ready to go, thanks to some helpful members from this board and a career workshop. So I'm sitting here thinking ..looks good, but does it work? Got the idea to remove my phone # & address, only leaving my email(heck might even use a fake name and email), and spam it out to job postings in a random state that I have zero plans to move to(that way I don't burn bridges in one of my potential locations) ..just to see if I get any bites. I won't reply or string them along.

I know this is wasting a hiring officials time, but I consider it pretty harmless. The instructor of my career workshop recommended that we apply for positions we're not serious about and even attend the interview, just to gain interview experience, but to turn down any offers asap.

Thoughts? Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know for a fact that companies post listings to jobs that don't even exist, to see what the current market is like in a given area. Also, a lot of times, jobs are posted externally when they already know they are going to give the position to an internal candidate.

So with that said, I see no issue with this.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Recruiters are in an incestuous industry where they move to the highest paying company with very little regard to their previous company. Even if you don't end up thinking you burnt a bridge, that person you end up burning may put out the word your not a serious candidate. You may want to think against this and instead hold off until you get to about the 2-3 month mark to start your job hunt.

You get nothing out of even getting a call because you cant interview either. You will end up just wasting your own time more than anything else fielding emails and calls.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I just started with a new company and posted my resume on careerbuilder. Within 24 hours, I was called/left messages and emailed from various recruiters. I then took my resume off of careerbuilder. Recruiters are an OK source to use; however, you will probably get tons of calls from Indians in call centers working for a unknown staffing agency etc...and emails asking you to relocate to Idaho etc...