Options

Remote Jobs?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
So I was talking with a friend from the Veterans Affairs that works in security and he actually telecommutes 50% of the time for his job.

I actually did not know that security jobs in the government telecommute that much.

Anyone here telecommute more than 50% of the time and how did you get into that role?

Comments

• Options
    bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A friend of mine in the infosec field telecommutes 2 days a week.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if you wanted input from remote federal jobs exclusively but telecommuted 100% for prior full stack development jobs in the private sector. It was cheaper for me to stay home! icon_cool.gif

Nowadays, I have seen quite a few 100% telecommuting jobs for penetration testing and security consulting. Dell Secureworks - I see a lot.

A few jobs (cloudsec engineer/solutions architect) I have interviewed for lately have given me telecommute 20% and Fridays off.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I telecommute anytime I want, so usually more than 50%. Just have to find a company that doesn't mind it. It's really a company culture thing. Some like everyone in the office every day. Some could care less as long as the work is done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm 100% telecommute, princ sys/storage admin for a government contractor.

I kind of fell into it. I started working from home after paternity leave, and ended up not really going back. Since then, they've downsized local office and I don't even have an office in the building anymore. I have to use a roaming cubicle if I come in.

It helps though that all of the systems I work on are in other states anyway, as is the rest of my team, so not any real benefit to me going into the office.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @brad
    Is he gov or civ?

@fuz
    I dont really have any HUGE ties to the gov so I might explore the civ side of things to snag a job that telecoms

@Net
    My org wants everyone there in office at all times. It makes no damn sense. I would be much more productive from home in my PJ's sipping some spiked apple cider.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    My previous two employers (Fortune 100 global finance firms) had full telecommute work arrangements. Sadly my current employer does not even though we all work on laptops and BB's and have the perfect setup for it. Seems like our CEO is old fashioned and resistant to allowing it. Sad because that will be what eventually pushes me to move on in a couple of years.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    @fuz I dont really have any HUGE ties to the gov so I might explore the civ side of things to snag a job that telecoms

Most civ is probably gov-contracted now or they can't work with the "best" encryption. If you have some time to wait, I believe the maximization of profit will happen at the end of Q1 and beginning of Q2 because people will be desperate. This is when all the federal budget increase for security comes into play and they'll probably shower you with amenities and perks - with 100% telecommuting as a probable standard since they have to somewhat conform with private sector benefits.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can work remote when I need to, a bunch of people at my company take Fridays at home. I just started there a few months ago so I don't want to push it too much but my supervisor has been very clear that as long as I get my hours in and I'm there when they have important meetings and such he doesn't care where I do the hours. It's been really helpful so far, a number of days remote for things that have cropped up. I'd love to be at least half time remote, I was at another job years ago and I loved it. Gave me just enough time around coworkers to be in touch but the rest of the time I skipped the commute and worked in sweats.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    100% telecommute.

Manager allows 3rd shift to work at home.
  • Options
    kly630kly630 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a 100% telecommute. Like I've never been to the office type deal. I work in the hosting division of a software company. On the storage/vm team no less. This job I got basically through family connections. My mother is a DBA and the guy who leads my team worked with her on a few projects, was looking for someone to handle routine tasks, and I was looking to leave a bad job at a tech giant at the time.

I had a past role as an SAP analyst that was the same. It was a 100% telecommute kind of thing, but that was because the firm was really small so an office was a huge expense. 6 people. It was a great experience though, because I learned a ton about ERP, how it's implemented, and used. Wound up working directly under a couple of accountants on most projects.

As was stated, the amount of telecommute is probably more about the company than anything. I imagine at some larger organizations it would be much harder. And some roles really lend themselves easily to telecommuting (like tech). After that base installation of hardware, there's not a whole lot of times you need to actually show up.