Options

New Job dilemma

-hype-hype Member Posts: 165
Hey Guys,

So, I work for a Municipality (large city) and currently work on the infrastructure team. But we have dept's that have their own IT team, independent of us. They manage their own servers. So i applied to one of these depts, and the hiring manager and me clicked. The hiring manager told me they would have a decision within a week, but I haven't heard back (it's been 3 weeks since I interviewed). I know they haven't hired anyone, because I manage the city's Exchange environment icon_rolleyes.gif. I emailed HR (a week ago) and have not received a reply.

I know the hiring manager's email. Should I email him directly, since I received no reply? Because I have a job offer from another company. But I would love this job, because I would be the lead engineer, have 2 people I manage, and I will be responsible for migrating from Hyper V to VMware and also design their wireless network. Basically my dream job, because I am trying to specialize in virtualization. In the other job, I would be the JOAT at a 200 user company, but not get to touch the virtual environment or get major project work.

Also, If I decide to email him, how should I write the email?

Maybe:

Hey IT Manager,

I emailed Hr and got no reply, so I'm emailing you. Do you guys still want me? I have an offer on the table, but this is my dream job, please hire me?

Cliffs:

OP applied to a dream job within same company, got great vibes.
OP got job letter from different company.
OP wants dream job, HR not responding.
OP wants to email hiring manager and tell him he has job offer, OP would like TechExams community to help with said email.

Excuse the grammar errors.

Thanks in advance.
WGU BS IT:Network Administration
Started: 10-1-13
Completed: 9-21-14
Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Yes you should email him. I would use a more professional template to inquiry about the position though :) HOWEVER, I would not tell you have a potential job opportunity elsewhere.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Definitely email him. But under no circumstance should you mention that other job offer. If that job offer should disappear on you, you'll be branded as someone who has one foot out the door already. Now, as to why HR isn't responding back, or you haven't heard anything. They may be wanting someone who has more hands on experience in that role and don't want to train or hope someone can learn on the fly especially if nobody can train you on exactly what needs to be done. It's also possible that they had other interviews and I've been on the receiving end where I was completely out of the loop and didn't find out they filled the position from outside the company until the day before the new guy started.

Of course, that precipitated my leaving the company I was with and encouraging my wife to go for a promotion that she wanted, but required us to move. I got a contract job shortly after that, and 6 months later got into a great full time permanent position that was a move up.
  • Options
    So I decided to email the hiring manager and they said they would have a decision next week.

So, I am thinking of accepting the offer for now. If the other job happens I can always back out. Would suck for the current company but I am sure they would understand. Anyone else done something similar? How did it turn out??
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Awhile back I got an offer from LockHeed Martin. I accepted the offer. Then I got another offer from CSC. Their offer was better in terms of hours and pay. I inform LockHeed I was rescinding my acceptance. That's it. Keep in mind. Companies have NO PROBLEM laying you off if dictated by their stockholders. You would be out the door in a heartbeat. People talk about loyalty. I am loyal by giving 2 weeks notice and establishing friendship with SOME managers and peers. However, you need to look out for yourself PERIOD. Don't burn bridges. But look out for yourself and don't feel bad about it. Because at the end of the day, they look at it as a numbers game. And you should too.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, you are pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place as you do like the employer you are with currently, but feel stuck waiting for a decision on that promotion. If you do accept that offer, go ahead and do that, but ask for a 3 week notice to give your current employer (say that they are in the middle of a big project and don't want to leave them stranded, but it should be done or close to done by the end of that 3 weeks) and don't say anything to your current employer until they have the decision by the end of this week. If you don't get it, or haven't heard, then put in your 2 weeks notice on the next Monday.
  • Options
    Hey guise,

Big bump.

So after I posted the above thread, they contacted me to interview with the CIO. The interview went great.

HR called me today and made an offer!!! More cash than offer from job 1 and more in line with my career goals.

So excited for my dream job!! So pumped up.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great work, congrats!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com