Options

What to do if you are grossly underpaid

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently started my first networking job. The job will have me in charge of roughly 20 remote locations using BGP and Frame Relay on our end and MPLS on the ISP's end. Some sites are pretty small while others are bigger but nothing huge. Lots of wireless APs. Installs around the CAN and travel, although not a lot, are also involved. So here is my issue. There are about 7 other network engineers in the shop. Each one with the same duties as me. People have been there anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. I have learned that all of my colleagues make, at the least, 15 thousand a year more than I do. Most of the other network engineers started the same way I am - fresh off the help desk.

I know the shop is desperate to keep me due to mass exodus recently. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with this. I want to go the higher ups and tell them I need more money or I'm gone. But that sounds like a pretty terrible idea.

I am afraid push too hard because I feel that I would not be hired anywhere else due to my lack of experience.

This forum has been a lot of help to me in the past. Anyone out there with any insight? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I don't think you have alot of wiggle room. You accepted an offer and recently started the job. What are you going to tell management? You spoke to some co workers who told you their salary? That could get them in trouble. If you feel you are worth more then I suggest you look for another opportunity and then approach management for a possible salary raise. That way you can jump ship with a job instead of playing hardball with no where to land.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There isn't much you can do without looking bad. There is always someone that makes more or knows more, etc. You're fresh so you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. Get a years experience and try to get a promotion at which point you can ask for more and point to salary data for justification or get your experience and then look for another job. Negotiate harder on the next job.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1) Ask for more money with justification
    2) Accept an offer elsewhere

That's it.

This is your first job. Take the experience, apply elsewhere after your 1 year is up and let that be a lesson to you: know what you are worth before going into an interview!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    In your case, I would learn all you can at your new position. If you are so inclined, pursue your CCNP:R&S. Keep your CV up to date. Network with fellow networkers. Discretely peruse job boards for other positions. Once you have a year under your belt, then you will have some leverage. If you excel at your position, you will be able to negotiate a raise. If it is not to your satisfaction, then you will have the experience to move on. Take the time to enjoy your new position. There is more to a young career than money. At this stage you want all the experience you can acquire.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't compare myself to others. I'd ask myself one question: "am I happy with the salary I make now _in a vacuum_." If yes, keep working. If no, why did I accept this job?

Honestly, if you're fresh off helpdesk, it's an amazing experience opportunity. Most people (including on this forum) take years to get a networking job.

Once you put "network engineer (1 year), CCNA, CCNA:Sec" on your resume, it opens a lot more doors than "helpdesk analyst, (X years), CCNA." First one actually tells people you know your stuff and worked with networks daily, second one tells people you probably reset passwords, just recently took your CCNA and now want a raise.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wait till you get a little experience. Then you will have more options and more leverage.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    You are only worth what someone else is willing to pay you. The good news is you have a lot of upside where you are. Do a good job for 6 months and see what happens.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Your first job, lots of good experience opportunities, and others are making more money than you... But you never mentioned if this is the first job for anyone else. That could be where you're seeing a pay differential.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First networking job, keep your mouth shut and suck it up. If you'd more experience I'd say have a word but given your lack of commercial experience then you just need to do 1 year and then see where your career lies.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You signed a offer letter and accepted the position based on the amount listed on that letter, so give 100% every day based on that. You dont know the background of everyone in that office, based on experience and education that could of qualified them for a higher pay. If you complain about the pay it shows that you are just in it for the money and makes you look bad. Work harder and complain less and soon you'll be making the same if not more one day. ..
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of people think they are underpaid in this industry and in a lot of cases they really are, but unfortunately for your situation, experience is ultimately going to be the thing that gets you more money. I'll echo what people said here and just get that experience so you in 6 months to a year you can either go to your boss now and ask for more money or find somewhere that will pay you more.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Early in your career, it is better to have the right experience than the higher paying job. Don't concern yourself about what others are making. Excel at your job and learn as much as you can. At your next review, present to your boss what you think your value is to the company and how it is not aligned with your compensation. If you have a valid argument, then it makes sense for them to negotiate a raise that will work for both you and the company. If your company doesn't value you, then you now have the experience to find a better job elsewhere.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Please do not complain about being "grossly underpaid" on a position you accepted freely. This has got to be one of the biggest pet peeves on this site of newcomers...."I took a job, now I think I am worth more." Sorry, you were the adult in the negotiation representing yourself. Learn from it and next time do a better job on your behalf.

And no, my comments are not cruel or harsh. There are a number of talented folks who do not get lucky enough to land the interview, let a lone the chance to mess up the negotiation. the best time to find a job is when one already has one, so, get some experience (as mentioned above) and then renegotiate oR move on. Besides, who ever said that after your put six months to a year in that you could not ask for additional pay???

It has been my experience that companies do not on purpose underpay employees....they pay what the market will take and likely only perceived your skill set at the value you accepted for the skill set. You will get better at negotiating for your value' but in the meantime you will gain experience.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?