Options

Would you take a dead-end job if they offered you a significant raise?

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everybody,

I will try to make it as short as possible:) I currently work as IT Support Analyst where my duties revolve around providing desktop support to end users. However, I do have several projects that I am working on mostly in my spare time or after work. I am in the process of configuring/testing SCCM in pilot environment to be able to image computers remotely, deploy software remotely, etc; as well as deploying many new printers with the print server I've helped setup. I keep my manager updated on my progress and he supports and understands the value of what I'm doing and has a budget to make SCCM possible. My other colleagues though are okay with doing day-to-day desktop support calls and don't take many opportunities to take their time to find a way improve delivery of our services. The pay is ok but nothing to write home about. There are promotional opportunities within my organization but obviously no one is gonna give me a promotion for being a nice guy :) I am also not a great talker and don't have the "presence" of a higher C level type employee.

I have recently applied to a Supervisor, Client Services position elsewhere and I am 90% certain that I will get it because of my connections. The job pays significantly more but it's a dead-end job. There are no promotional opportunities or bonuses/pay raises.

Do you guys think it wise for me to stay at the job that pays less? I have dreams of owning an apartment or house, having a car, etc, but that will never be a possibility with my current pay. That and also the job title makes me unsure if I should take the new opportunity even if there will be no promotions there.

Thank you!!!

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Calling it a dead end job is a bit of a stretch... maybe with that specific company it might be but not within the industry.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. That's what I was originally thinking too, but with my current job if I'm lucky I may have an opportunitiyperhaps maybe not supervisor but something more technical and eventually better paying than my potential new job offer.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Take the higher pay. Use that pay to get more certs. Apply to other positions after a year or two.