Options

Not sure what to do

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just started a new gig at a MSP about 2 weeks ago. At the moment, I'm doing basic troubleshooting and help desk level tasks. I'm assuming my manager is trying to see if I can handle these tasks. I don't mind the job, but I don't like the long distances of driving with my personal vehicle and like .45 cents per mile rate.

Anyway, I was offered a job at a large company making $8k more base salary than I currently make. Annual bonus and 401k. No driving (vehicle wear and tear) This position is more focused on Systems and Virtualization.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I don't want to look like a job hopper. With an MSP, I find myself wondering how helping a company with a software specific to their needs is helping me? Or is it better to be a jack of all trades or to find a niche and dig in?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do what is best for you and your situation. To be honest, with only two weeks, I wouldn't put that on a resume. Too short and causes too many questions.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Put in your 2 weeks notice and jump ship. If anyone questions your resume in future jobs then tell them that it was a short contract.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At 2 weeks in, you might even still be on your trial period. In BC, it's 3 months either side can walk with no prior notice, so you should literally just be able to hop over.

Whether you should is up to you and whether you want to burn a bridge.

In either case, take the new job.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    You could be honest with your current manager. Tell management exactly what you said here. Sounds like you are bored with the work you have. If you still are unhappy with their response or the work you have, present them with the offer you have with Company B.

Put in your two weeks and begin to look forward to more interesting work and better benefits.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With only two weeks in your not job hoping your just acknowledging it did not work out. In this case I would not hesitate to switch. Your current company probably has other candidates they can quickly call back in.