Options

How to follow your passion? ( To much to learn? not enough time! )

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Howdy folks how are you all doing, I am writing this as I need some career advice / kick up the backside. See I have this desire to oneday become a Linux administrator or to work in he IT industry doing something Linux orientated.

Let me give you a bit of background about myself I have over 8 years experience working in IT mainly technical / support roles ( windows based). I am currently unemployed had a petty rubbish year I lost my best freind who sadly passed away he used to work at my former company and I couldn't carry on there anymore ( knew him since I was 5)

I have taken time out to reassess things and my true passion is to work with Linux. I have dabbled with it for a couple of years, am comfortable working at the command line and setting up services / securing and using stuff like vim. But I wan't to take my knowledge to the next level and to build a more solid grounding so I have outlined the following things to learn.

Linux+
Linux command Line / William Shotts
RHCSA
Puppet

My main concern is how the hell does anybody retain and learn all this information I looked at puppet briefly and became disheartened I know nothing about ruby am not a programmer, Has anybody become a Linux Admin with no knowledge what are your tips for getting there?

I was thinking the above goals and breaking everything down into chunks watching a couple of cbts everyday and labbing making notes.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I did a chapter of the linux bible every morning in 45 days I had a very solid understanding of nix.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with hybrid devops roles becoming the norm, the lines of differentiation between administration and programming has really become more blurred.

for me, i'm a visual learner so i like to draw diagrams, pictures and other visual-mnemonic tools.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :) I already have read most of the Linux bible i'm pretty comfortable with the majority of the information presented in that book. Awesome book Negus did a grand job.

I probably going to start with watching Linux+ cbt nuggets videos I have the whole set so will make notes and learn I reckon I could hammer through this exam and pass it with minimum study. So for me that would be a good starting point.

The disheartening thing I am finding is programming languages i'm ok at BASH scripting, but i'm not a programmer and probably never will be don't have the professor mentality :)

I am also a visual learner and learn best from videos making notes and getting hands on.

How do you get Linux gigs without certification? I would love a junior position somewhere and to be given the opportunity to prove myself.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wanted the same thing and have been administering several CentOS boxes (13) for a year now. I'm like you, came from a Windows world and basically had to take on this role out of necessity. My suggestion would be to look for a role on a help desk supporting Linux. Typically, hosting companies would hire someone to take the initial call and do some simple troubleshooting. From there you can move into the systems administration roles. As others have said, DevOPs is the big thing in the Linux world. With some initiative you can learn the programming.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Sorry for your loss man.

I'd say pass one of the certs (RHCSA highly recommended), and get a job ASAP. Best way to retain knowledge and grow is to do it on the job. Good luck.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com