Group Policy Management 2012 R2

Hey everyone -

Very new to running server 2012 (or any windows server for that matter) as is most people in my dept. I did not set it up originally, but I am trying to get into group policy management and edit some control panel features, folder and search options, where users documents/downloads/temp/etc are stored. From what I am reading on technet it appears that just by getting into Group Policy Management I should have a section similar to the image shown in this link: Group Policy Preference ( Folder Option ) - Spiceworks . I am not seeing that at all however. I am assuming that it isn't possible to be running Local Group Policy Management on our primary DC (hope I am terming this properly). Is there some feature I am overlooking to enable this or am I looking in the wrong places?

Sorry for the rather menial question, but it is pretty pressing I figure this out, and don't have the time atm to learn from the ground up (or set up my own). Any help is very appreciated. Links to articles I can read for a better understanding, short answers, whatever you have... Thanks!

Comments

• netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know you are in a hurry but setting up GPO's half hazard is a very bad idea and can have major repercussions on your systems. At the least your should take a few days to learn and understand how GPO's work. All of the pieces you are wanting are done in different places. Some are policies some are preferences or either. FYI a policy is a defined setting that cannot be changed by the user, where a preference is like a default setting that they can change.

some places to start
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh147307%28WS.10%29.aspx
    Home Page Archives - Group Policy Central
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739343%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
    The IT stuff: Loopback processing of Group Policy, explained.

Here is a link to search group policies Group Policy Search
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are in the group policy management window, you need to create and edit a GPO first before you will see that screen. Don't apply it to anything initially. I recommend creating a test OU with a test machine that you can apply your GPO to and test with. Once you are satisfied with the result in your test environment, you can then apply it to production. You may want to logically segment your AD OU structure first so that you only apply it to machines that need the settings/restrictions. Also, don't edit any of the default policies in your domain(s).
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blatini wrote: »
    Hey everyone -

Very new to running server 2012 (or any windows server for that matter) as is most people in my dept. I did not set it up originally, but I am trying to get into group policy management and edit some control panel features, folder and search options, where users documents/downloads/temp/etc are stored. From what I am reading on technet it appears that just by getting into Group Policy Management I should have a section similar to the image shown in this link: Group Policy Preference ( Folder Option ) - Spiceworks . I am not seeing that at all however. I am assuming that it isn't possible to be running Local Group Policy Management on our primary DC (hope I am terming this properly). Is there some feature I am overlooking to enable this or am I looking in the wrong places?

Sorry for the rather menial question, but it is pretty pressing I figure this out, and don't have the time atm to learn from the ground up (or set up my own). Any help is very appreciated. Links to articles I can read for a better understanding, short answers, whatever you have... Thanks!

Can you provide a screenshot of what you are actually seeing? Sounds like you may not have the right GPO permissions.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    Sorry I have managed to figure this out. shaun was right in his post. Also thanks netsys for the links. They were very helpful :)