Options

First IT interview

Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys haven't posted here in awhile, but I just landed my first interview for an part-time/internship as network technician. A little background on job. The position is a mobile network technician where I would be traveling to different industries repairing and setting up networks, servers, and workstations. The company was looking for someone either fresh out of college or still in college who has more of theory down, and have little to no work experience to be able to grow with the company (since they're are just starting up). My interview is next week, and I was wondering from an IT standpoint is there any questions or ways I can prepare I've only had food/sales associate interviews so far. I'm really excited and I don't want to mess this up.

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Basically, read up on the job description and understand as best you can exactly what the tech's noted state. Also, research the hell out of the company that you are interviewing with. It can make a great impression if they see that you understand the company and it's mission.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be friendly and professional during the interview. It helps give a good impression.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Basically, read up on the job description and understand as best you can exactly what the tech's noted state. Also, research the hell out of the company that you are interviewing with. It can make a great impression if they see that you understand the company and it's mission.

This is correct because they want to see if you are REALLY interested in the job and the company. So i agree with this 100%
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the advice, but that was actually a problem when I was writing this essay type cover letter they required. I wanted to find their mission/values section on their website but they don't have any. I guess the company is just that new. And I was also wondering what kinda questions should I ask?
  • Options
    Never mind I found it. Their mission statement was in their history. But I still don't know what kind of questions to ask.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would ask things like:
    What to expect in a typical day
    Training opportunities
    What's advancement like

You want to show that you have the drive and determination to succeed.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can give you some sample ones i got from a recruit not to long ago. No more than 3 at the max you need to ask.
    Questions:

1.Where do you see the company in 3 or 5 years?
    2.Does quantity or quality matter must with this company?

I forgot the last one I had but here is a start. Google interview questions dont talk about pay and all that. Just ask questions about the company that way you show interest but like a said 2 no more than 3 max asked questions.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    This might be obvious but make sure you know the OSI model.

I stole this from another forum user's signature...you should be able to 'get it' if in networking.

"I would tell you a UDP joke but I don't know if you will get it..."

Also, to go along with MrAgent's suggestions...don't be afraid to ask questions. You don't want to walk in seeming to desperate that you'll take anything. They're looking for a contributor; this means in work and also knowledge.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the advice. I'm get my portfolio out finally get to use it :D, and I have a mock interview setup at my community college. But I'll definitely keep everyone posted, and I hope I get to finally be part of the IT field!!
  • Options
    On another note I'm wondering what they are going to ask at the interview, because they required me to answer these questions to even get a chance at an interview. Sorry if its really long just wondering if anyone else had to do this prior to an interview.

• Personal details including a brief statement as to why this opportunity is of particular interest
    • Personal goals, motivations, drivers and standards
    • 'Personality picture' - a description of your personality. This should include a list of your strengths and weaknesses with clear examples of how you know that you have each one.
    • Good examples of how well you work with others
    • A description of all of your communication skills and examples of how you have demonstrated these skills in the past or would improve upon them in the future
    • An explanation of your educational achievements to-date and your future plans for further learning and qualification.
    • Details of any achievements attained inside and outside of the school of the educational system
    • A list of at least four (but can be more) individuals who you most respect with a detailed explanation of why you feel this way about them
    • Your definition of the following words and examples of how you would measure up to those definitions : Honesty, Integrity, Reliability, Diligence, Equality, Honor, Respect
    • A description of your view of how current technology helps individuals, organizations and businesses
    • Details of any IT skills that you currently possess
    • Explain why we should see you for this position. Use a scale of 1 to 20 as your 'personal score' to add to your explanation. As a guide 1 would be "I would be readily available" and 20 would be "you will probably never see a better candidate". Please provide your own one sentence explanation of that score.
    • If we asked your best friend about you what would they say and why
  • Options
    Just wanted to up date everyone. I GOT THE JOB :D 've never been so happy lol. Thanks guys for all the advice it definitely helped out. Now to go be a Network Technician. After I put my two weeks at firehouse subs
  • Options
    anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations mate!

How did the interview go ?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    anuragaks10 it went extremely well for the most part he was trying to see my expectations of the job, and we elaborated more on what I have been currently expose to, and my plans for the future. The company seems like a very lay back company, and I'm so excited to start!!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    How did your salary negotiation go?
  • Options
    @anhtran35 not really much of a negotiation. I was informed during the training period I would be getting $500 salary a month, but the training period could be as short 1 month. Afterwards I will be getting $14/hr then it will increase once I get more responsibilities, and I'm happy with it because I really just wanted the job to finally get my foot in the door, and can't wait to start in March
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Congratulations. Good luck to you on your future endeavors.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,