Options

They did not ask about my salary requirement

AboorAboor Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have applied a job through a company website, so far I did three tests (1 practical and 2 written) and one Skype interview. I will have another interview with C-Level Manger next week. During the job application they asked me my salary expectations, which I said 75k . So far they did not ask me anything about my salary requirement. I have applied the job through the company website and they did not mention any salary range, but they advertised the same job in another website with a compensation range of 55-65k.
So my question is – Is it normal not ask salary requirement during this long interview process? Are they ok with my 75k which I mentioned during the job application.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is just my opinion, so take it for that.

If you get an offer, they will probably hit you with a low number and see if you accept. This is just an example, so don't read too much into this.. Say they offer you 60k. If you counter with your 75k, then they will probably tell you the most they could do is 65k. Some employers are relatively upfront with salary constraints for the position and others are eerily similar to used car salesman.

If I were in your position, I would expect an offer in their stated range and I would doubt that they will exceed it unless you are a world class candidate.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    Thank you dark3d, at Final stage of the negotiation, If they don't offer me 75k or 70k I am willing to accept an offer in their highest range which is 65k but not less than that. I am currently making 55K.

I have 6 years IT Technical Support experience and 1 year Networking experience with Degree, CCNA, CCNP and ITIL Foundation. I live in Boston.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's good that you know your expectations. 10k isn't a bad bump. If they don't offer you $70, I'd look at fringe benefits. A few extra matching % on a 401k is literally money in the bank. :)
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    dark3d wrote: »
    This is just my opinion, so take it for that.

If you get an offer, they will probably hit you with a low number and see if you accept. This is just an example, so don't read too much into this.. Say they offer you 60k. If you counter with your 75k, then they will probably tell you the most they could do is 65k. Some employers are relatively upfront with salary constraints for the position and others are eerily similar to used car salesman.

If I were in your position, I would expect an offer in their stated range and I would doubt that they will exceed it unless you are a world class candidate.

Like other have stated. They WILL lowball you. I'm thinking 65k. Have a letter written up now to rebuttal that amount asking for 75k. If they say 70k is the best and final offer accept it :) If they say 65k ask them about certification reimbursement.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you could always ask what the pay range is for the role. me, personally, i like to get that out of the way in the beginning so that i'm not wasting their time, and more importantly, my time! You already did 3 tests & a skype interview, so you're already into the process, but i don't think it can hurt to ask, especially if in the end they're paying less than what you're looking for & willing to accept.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another good benefit to ask for is up front vacation.

But the most important thing is to make sure you tell them that you would like what ever they offer verbally to be in the written job offer. If it is not in writing, you have no ground to go after those benefits later.
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Isn't $65-75K in Boston with CCNP, ITIL and degree too low, especially with 5+ years of experience? I was interviewing for several positions in greater Boston area last year with 2 years of System Admin/Management experience, degree and no certs and was looking for $70-80K+ pay considering high COL. How would you even been able to get CCNP with only 1 year of networking exp?
  • Options
    IT-Fella,

I know 65-75K in Boston is too low for someone who have degree and CCNP, but I am new to the States and because I don't have U.S experience (I was working in Dubai) I am willing to accept 65-75k for my first position here in the states. I was getting 55k without tax for my previous position. Once I put the 1 year U.S experience in my resume, I can open my eyes for the 80+ positions.

How I got my CCNP? I am not working for one year now because I was waiting my work permit which I got recently and I had enough time to study -14 months, also I have a degree in IT (70% Networking), 6 years Technical support experience and 1 year of networking experience and it was easy for me to understand and pass the exam . I had put a lot of time reading books, LABing and watching videos. I know people will ask me that question – how did you get your CCNP with only one year networking experience, but after I got my CCNP, I have the confidence and networking knowledge to face interviews and answer networking questions confidently.

Since you interviewed positions in greater Boston area last year, how is the demand for Cisco Engineers here? Any advice that you have for someone like me will be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Understood. I looked for jobs while still being employed in South Florida so it made the whole interviewing process much harder. I would attend some interviews locally but I thought they didn't worth flying up there. However, I got an impression that there were way more jobs available than in FL - I wasn't really looking for networking jobs though - more of a generalist's role. You need to get in touch with recruiters if you want to find something - one particular agency I can recommend is Jobspring. Several recruiters I spoke with seemed to be very helpful and were able to get me couple interviews. I had my personal life circumstances which prevented me to move to MA last year.
    Anyway, you should be able to find something decent with your credentials. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you IT-Fella, I am working with recruiters and I will check Jobspring. I was applying jobs for the last two weeks and I am getting interviews. It will take time but I am hopeful that I will get something with my qualification and experience.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I live in Boston too! Connect with me on LinkedIn and maybe send me an email!