Options

Possible hire for a high level job with no experience?

ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
While I haven't heard the final verdict yet as to the job offer.......from the phone calls and e-mails they sound like they really want to hire me. It sounds great as I've been wanting to break from desktop support. However it's for a job in which I have absolutely no skills/experience in. Pretty much I'm the main POC for simulation programs and demonstrations. So this would mean I would be able to touch routers and servers to ensure the programs run efficiently during these seminars. I'd be on my own which I don't mind as I prefer working alone, however to me it just seems odd for such a project that requires such experience, knowledge, and attention to detail a company would hire someone such as myself.

I'm kind of torn between taking the job, at the same time it would give me the long awaited experience I've wanted. However when/if it hits the fan I don't want to be blamed and terminated from a position. Also the contract is also "temp" with only 7 months left vs my current 3 year contract. There's some other things I don't care for as well in the company however these are my biggest concerns.

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Did u get an offer letter? If not...then u haven't gotten the job YET.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Who cares man take the job and get your hands dirty. That experience your getting is king. As long as you didn't lie on your application and they are fully aware on your skill sets you are fine.
  • Options
    Take the job and get my hands dirty? Usually I'm all for that but under certain circumstances one has to be smart. I was offered the job but I declined it.

For any other lurkers who may have yet to experience this. There are challenges and then their are suicides. Hopefully your situations fair better than mine. Luckily I was able to see it before it was too late.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That was probably the wise thing to do since the contract would end (I'm assuming no extensions at the end?) by the end of summer. And of course, throwing someone into a position like that without the proper experience could and probably would be a suicide mission for you. Keep your eyes open and I'm sure a better opportunity will come along your path. If I were to make that jump, it wouldn't be as a contractor as there is just too much risk in how much they want to invest in a person. If it were a full time, permanent employment, then I would have jumped at it just because it would mean that they liked what they saw in you and would take the time to train you properly and make you an expert at the job as it would be an investment by them into you.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just keep in mind that sometimes these are the opportunities that people are always saying don't exist. For whatever reason a company was willing to let you take chance and see how you would do.
  • Options
    Thank you MeanDrunk and Jon, for the encouragement. I too hope I can get something. More study time I guess in the meantime.

They contacted me, I had seen the job before listed on numerous jobsites but never applied as I knew I was under qualified. While I had some of the qualifications I do not have the knowledge nor experience or managing switches and servers. To which I had even informed not only the recruiter the person who interviewed me as well. Not to mention I would be supporting HIGH END clientele for seminars and demonstrations. If the job had support for low priority with some shadowing I would have taken it just for the experience despite the ending contract. However being alone as the POC to setting up the servers and switches, a novice?

That just doesn't seem smart to me. Even when I declined I kept getting calls and e-mails that they were desperate and needed "a body." Even before all this when I would inquire about the salary neither of them could give me an answer, and just kept referring me from one to the other. The recruiter kept asking why I am not up to the challenge. I don't look at this as a challenge personally. It makes not only the company look bad but also myself, and being a contractor very easily expendable and easy to put blame upon. IMO.

I was just quite taken by this as I've never had this happen before......it was a very strange event.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What was the pay?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Based on some of the fallout, it seems like declining was a good idea. "They are desperate and just need a body" isn't exactly inspiring. Also not 100% clear on what your actual job duties were.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Came back to check on this thread and see you decline the offer. Getting your hands dirty meant learning new technologies and taking the bumps as you go. There is no smart choice in regards to this situation either you wish to take hold and seize a moment or you will let it pass. I could understand a pure newbie declining such a position for the fear of failure but you seem to be experience a little bit. What can be question is the fact you applied for a job knowing you wasn't qualified for it then was offered the position and back away from it. Usually for contract positions companies will take any able person...but those are my 2 cents.
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why did you even apply?
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Why did you even apply?

OP said "They contacted me, I had seen the job before listed on numerous jobsites but never applied as I knew I was under qualified."
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    Came back to check on this thread and see you decline the offer. Getting your hands dirty meant learning new technologies and taking the bumps as you go. There is no smart choice in regards to this situation either you wish to take hold and seize a moment or you will let it pass. I could understand a pure newbie declining such a position for the fear of failure but you seem to be experience a little bit. What can be question is the fact you applied for a job knowing you wasn't qualified for it then was offered the position and back away from it. Usually for contract positions companies will take any able person...but those are my 2 cents.

I get the feeling he declined it less because he wasn't sure he could do the job, and more because it felt pretty sketchy. No self-respecting company would hire someone seriously under-quaified and not offer any training unless they needed a scapegoat or something.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd add that there is the possibility that while the job may have seemed to be a high-level job, it very well could have been a high title, with fairly simple support responsibilities.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Scape goat for what ??? If there IT department is screw up its screw up. You cant always expect people in IT to hold your hands it just wont happen. I doubt he would be configuring servers and routers since they are most likely preconfigured. If you trying to get the experience then take it. If you want wait for that job that hold your hand wait on it.
  • Options
    Scape goat for what ??? If there IT department is screw up its screw up. You cant always expect people in IT to hold your hands it just wont happen. I doubt he would be configuring servers and routers since they are most likely preconfigured. If you trying to get the experience then take it. If you want wait for that job that hold your hand wait on it.
    Internal politics, for example. Put someone specifically in a position to fail, or in a position that has already failed and the new hire doesn't know about it. Play the blame game. Blame the new guy and fire and/or sue him afterward to avoid liability or collect insurance. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. Can it happen? Definitely. Seen a few family friends get sacked at various times from stuff like that.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I gathered, it's doing demos and simulations. That would make me think it's sales? If they're not discussing salary, then it's probably not paying well and that's why it hasn't been filled. As for putting people in positions with no training or experience? It happens all the time. You have manager's, project manager's, etc that don't have a clue what they are doing or talking about. I see it everyday and wonder how did they get hired.

With being hired as a contractor, some companies do require a temp to hire approach. They don't want to invest in you, if you aren't going to work out within a few months.
  • Options
    Tremie24 wrote: »
    What was the pay?

They never gave me an answer. Before or after the interview I just asked out of curiosity.
  • Options
    Why did you even apply?

I did not apply to the position. As mentioned above THEY CONTACTED ME. I had only seen the job on the various job sites, but never applied because I knew I was under qualified.
  • Options

If you read the post above you would understand that I did not apply for the job. They contacted me. Like I also mentioned above had the clientele been a less priority I would have taken it just for the experience, even with the short contract. However working with functions and seminars on base I know what the demand is HIGH when initializing these events, thus mistakes and loss time are not an option. Not to mention to hear them mention how desperate they were and needed a body is not very comforting. Likewise they kept giving me the run around on the simplest of questions.
  • Options
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Internal politics, for example. Put someone specifically in a position to fail, or in a position that has already failed and the new hire doesn't know about it. Play the blame game. Blame the new guy and fire and/or sue him afterward to avoid liability or collect insurance. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. Can it happen? Definitely. Seen a few family friends get sacked at various times from stuff like that.

Thank you! :)This is where I'm getting at. I've seen this happen numerous times myself even within my current company.
  • Options
    from ofhter information in this thread, I'm tending to think it's commission-based or commission-only sales. Which is why they're having trouble finding a guy and are willing to take any random person with little experience.
  • Options
    mjnk77 wrote: »
    From what I gathered, it's doing demos and simulations. That would make me think it's sales? If they're not discussing salary, then it's probably not paying well and that's why it hasn't been filled. As for putting people in positions with no training or experience? It happens all the time. You have manager's, project manager's, etc that don't have a clue what they are doing or talking about. I see it everyday and wonder how did they get hired.

With being hired as a contractor, some companies do require a temp to hire approach. They don't want to invest in you, if you aren't going to work out within a few months.

If I took the position I would the POC in charge of configuring and setting the switches/routers/servers. In the job description itself it specifically stated that the candidate must possess a "senior" (7-10+ years) amount experience. I have none configuring such devices. Even when they contacted me for the interview I stated that I only had very few of the qualifications they were looking for. I even informed the gentleman who interviewed me what my limitations were. Yet they still persisted on hiring me. Thus I implore anyone with a similar situation to trust your gut. I personally have no regrets about this.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually just got contacted by a recruiter for a position I would definitely not be qualified for, the description says they are looking for someone with "practical knowledge of Symantec Storage Foundation, including Cluster Server, Volume Manager and File System on multiple versions of Solaris"

I couldn't even tell you what that means let alone say I know what it is :P The salary would jump me from $45k a year to $75k a year though lol