Passed the GCIA!

calliclescallicles Posts: 13Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally, passed GIAC - GCIA exam! Special thanks to Khaos1911, dover, and laughing_man for the emotional support.

There are certainly more detailed threads on GCIA passing/failing, but I wanted to leave a few parting thoughts and this exam.
  • Index, index, index. It will win the day. My index was between 7-10 pages per book. They were detailed, organized, and manageable. My approach (and what worked the best), I did not want to reach for my books. During the test I had to reach to my SANS books ~3 times.
  • Time management. The first exam ran out of time and lost points to unanswered questions. This time I finished the exam in 3hrs. Advice: Be quick, be precise. If you don't know the questions, make the educated guess and move on.
  • Real test is harder than the pratice exams. The pratice exam gives you several benefits: time management, format on the questions, and the topics of the question. The summary at the end of the test is an excellent resource on your problem areas.
  • Helpful material outside of the Sans books:
    • "Network Intrusion Detection" Third Edition Northcutt and Novak
    • "Intrusion Signatures and Analysis" Northcutt, Cooper, Fearnow, Frederick
Passed: GCIA, GWAPT, GCIH Goals: GCFE, GCFA

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Posts: 1,472Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Senior Member EuropePosts: 1,008Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    من طلب عزائم الأمور ، هان عليه بذل النفس فيها - محمد إبن ابي عامر
    www.keyboardbanger.com
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Posts: 366Member
    I knew you would pass it. Happy for you, sir. Congrats!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 CISSP CISM CISA CRISC CCSP CCSK eJPT GCIA GSEC CEH CHFI ITIL-F AWS-CCP Posts: 2,759Mod Mod
    Congrats on the pass! GCIA seems like an interesting cert.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CCP, CEHv8, CHFIv8, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, Pentesting
    Next Up:​ eCPPTv2, OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (CLI, Git, Python)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Senior Member Posts: 6,721Mod Mod
    Congrats!
  • EngRobEngRob Posts: 247Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Posts: 601Member
    Congrats!

• calliclescallicles Posts: 13Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, all!
  • impelseimpelse Posts: 1,227Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Blog: learn-security.net

Computer Support Houston Area: thehost1.com
  • fuz1onfuz1on Posts: 961Member
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Didn't see this post til now! icon_lol.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • tshaikhtshaikh Posts: 1Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass..
    If you dont mind can you share your index?
  • shednikshednik Posts: 2,005Member
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Posts: 563Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress Start Date: Mar 1 2015 Transferred|Required|In Progress|Completed
    C176 C220 C221 C393 C394 C172 C178 C164 C457 C455 C456 C480 (42 CUs Xfered)
    C247 C299 (12 CUs Required to Graduate)
    C247
    C299 (12 CU In Progress)
    C182 ORA1 C459 C132 C168 C376 C483 C255 C278 C173 C169 C175 C484 C170 C179 C451 C100 C246
    C435 C436(68 CU Completed)
  • calliclescallicles Posts: 13Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all again!

@ tshaikh I will not be posting my index. It won't help anyone. If you need to borrow someone else's index - you won't pass the exam. However, if you are asking on how I formatted my index - I will say I had about 6-10 pages per book that I formatted in Excel. I broke it down into 3 columns Topic (alphabetical), page number, and notes. I used the notes for either what was written in the book, a definition, or a quick explanation. It was used so I didn't have to flip to the book.

Knowing the material + a good index = success. Good luck!
  • GForce75GForce75 Posts: 222Member
    Thanks for the advice. It's something I looking forward to when I head to Korea. I'm assuming the GCIA is harder than CISSP. I never looked into it.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT