Options

Resume Crit and Info Sec Career Advice please :)

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm looking for some career advice from people working in the Info Sec field. I like my current job, but I've decided my future is in security and so I'm looking for ways to strengthen my resume to get my foot in the door. Based on my resume, what kind of certifications, courses, etc, would you recommended that could help me prepare for and land an entry level job?

Also, as an FYI, I'll be graduating with my Bachelors in IT Sec soon and will have CCNA: R&S and CCNA Security by then as well. But, they are currently not on my resume.

Here's a link to my resume:Blank Blank - Copy.pdf
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not much of an expert, but at this point you can safely make your resume 2 pages. You will no longer be applying for field tech or break/fix jobs, so put some effort to flesh out your credentials and achievements. Your first page should be your professional summary, the second page is your work history. Make sure to include a summary section (short paragraph promoting yourself and explaining your background).

For your work history, start each job with major projects or achievements. I.e.

Something Engineer, Storage Company

- Redesigned ticket handling protocols to increase efficiency by 20%
    - Implemented mentoring program for new employees to ease transition to the floor, and reduce supervision
    - Did a bunch of boring support stuff.

Certifications deserves its own category near the top. I.e.:

Certifactions

- CCNA, CCNA: Security
    - MCP (in something), MTA
    - CompTIA A+, Network+, etc.

Your education is relevant, so I would put it near the top as well.

Create a separate category for your skills and flesh them out a bit. Your communications section is good, though it might be better to put it under Skills and Qualifications

Skills & Qualifications

- Windows Desktop & Server setup, enterprise deployment and troubleshooting
    - Knowledge of Active Directory
    - Experience with Cisco-based enterprise networks, including configuration and management
    - Proven ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of customers (top 100, federal, enterprise, small business, and residential).
    - Skilled in communicating in person and via all common forms of digital media, such as email, telephone and online chat.

Otherwise, make sure to tailor your resume to specific jobs you want. If you're applying to networking jobs, you may wish to put networking experience first and flesh it out a little more. If you're applying for Windows sysadmin, put more emphasis on AD, etcetera.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say it needs to be more then a page as well, it seems too squished. You list all of your certifications in a line, I'd say break them out a bit, and add more descriptions to the bigger ones (to add more keywords to the resume).

As InfoSec advice I'd tell you to pursue an SSCP or CISSP (I couldn't do all the math, but if you can put together 4 Years of security work + a degree, you're eligible, or 3 years with a degree and SSCP). It's a highly sought after certification.