Options

CCNA worth going for

mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm just starting out on working my Network Security Certs. Have my CCENT scheduled in a month. I was wondering if the CCNA RS is worth getting or should I just skip it and just get the CCNA Security?

Comments

• Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe you should get CCNA: R&S before going for CCNA:Sec. You'll have a better understanding of networking before going into deeper concepts.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on what subcategory of networking interests you. Routing and Switching? Security? Data Center? Collaboration? While R&S is the cornerstone of making these other topics possible, it is just one option. If you could explain in explicit detail what you'd want to do in networking, could you do it? If so, that tells you exactly which one you should pursue.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    I definitely want to focus on Security. Seems like I see alot of people with the R&S and Security which is why I was curious.

Other certs I plan on going for after CCNA Sec are: Security+, CEH, CSSP, CISSP (thinking in that order too)

Debating if I should put CCNP:Sec in there somewhere not sure where atm though. Thats just my down the road plan though :) Definitely have plenty of time to think about that.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mweaver84 wrote: »
    I definitely want to focus on Security. Seems like I see alot of people with the R&S and Security which is why I was curious.

Until Fall 2013, having a valid CCNA [R&S] was the prerequisite to take CCNA: Security. When they went to the 100/200 Series exams, they moved a large chunk of ICND2 (CCNA) material to ICND1 (CCENT) and made CCENT the prerequisite for all CCNA Level certifications.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Until Fall 2013, having a valid CCNA [R&S] was the prerequisite to take CCNA: Security. When they went to the 100/200 Series exams, they moved a large chunk of ICND2 (CCNA) material to ICND1 (CCENT) and made CCENT the prerequisite for all CCNA Level certifications.

Good point, forgot about that!
  • Options
    ghoulghoul Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »

I believe the one exception to this is CCNA Data Center. I don't think there are any pre-reqs for that.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mweaver84 wrote: »
    Other certs I plan on going for after CCNA Sec are: Security+, CEH, CSSP, CISSP (thinking in that order too)

This is my input: The Security side would be great. However, I will say don't waste your time on S+ unless you plan on going DoD or moving to DC any time soon. CEH is cool, and if you find the pen testing side interesting, check out OSCP as well.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []