Options

Finding Volunteer Opportunities

leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to find some way to volunteer my time that is directly related to IT or info sec, but I am not sure where to start.

Does anyone here have experience with putting their IT skills to use in a volunteer capacity? If so, how did you find the opportunities? I would welcome any suggestions or if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

Comments

• Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I googled for opportunities in my area and found one non-profit that refurbished computers and donated them to schools in low income areas. My role was doing hardware and software install type stuff. The same non-profit also offered classes in MS Office at the local libraries.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you can write a little bit, you might try the Analogies Project... or ISC(2) Safe and Secure Online program...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    If your skillset matches those certs you have listed on your profile, then you would be a hot commodity as a volunteer at almost any non-profit. I always recommend non-profits because they always need an extra set of hands.