Options

Need your opinion on my next steps

MotoTechMotoTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've taken steps to enroll in WGU BS:IT Security (Apply, FAFSA, Interview w/ enrollment counselor) I plan to start WGU in July

During our talk I tell him I am in the middle of studying for the A+ exam and plan to take the 801 portion in Feb.

He reccommends that I take the MTA exam to fufill my prereq in joining the BSIT program since it is cheaper ($65) and will save me some money. My A+ exam costs is included in the WGU tuition and will be paid for once I start.

Now I'm on a pretty tight budget and since the A+ exams are about $400 total, should I abandon studying the A+ exam for now and just study for the MTA: Networking fundamentals exam? The thing is, I'm looking for Help desk positions right now in order to get out of retail and get some real experience under my belt. My only reasoning to get the A+ now is to put on my resume to help with landing an IT field position.

I know this is sort of a multilayered question but this is the situation I'm currently in.

I guess my options are:

1. Continue studying for the A+, take my exams, apply for positions while filling my prereqs to join WGU and knocking out some classes which will cost me $400 on a tight budget

2.Delay studying for the A+ and start studying the MTA:Network Fundamentals exam which most likely won't help me land a help desk position, stay at the current job I do not enjoy, but will cost me less in the short term.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will they accept MTA: Windows Operating Systems? I think that one is just as likely to land you a job as the A+ will in a call center/help desk environment. I agree that it's overpriced and you'll end up getting that cert anyway in their program. If I was on a tight budget I'd probably take the MTA as getting the A+ isn't going to guarantee any type of job.
  • Options
    MotoTechMotoTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes they will accept MTA: Windows OS as a prereq, I only provided Networking fundamentals because it would also transfer as credits to a class. From what I've read from others, the A+ seems to hold more weight on jobs. Also from what I've seen, the A+ is specifically a requirement on almost all of the help desk positions that I've seen/applied to.

Since I have no formal experience, I was leaning towards just getting the A+ and biting the bullet financially. My limited experience is at home and troubleshooting family and friends computers.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It may hold a little more weight but it doesn't hold much. I mean if you can swing it financially then fine, but I don't think it's worth dropping hundreds more to get it over the MTA. You can comb through all of the posts on this board saying "I got an A+ but can't find a job".
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Your WGU degree should require that you get the A+ and a number of other certs. The cost of these certs are included in your tuition, so I wouldn't pay out of pocket for them. In the meantime, keep studying and you'll be ready to take those certs soon after you start your program. Multiple birds, one stone. Good luck, mate.