Options

Resume review request - Vet trying to get a new start in IT

thesourginthesourgin Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings all,

First, I want to thank everyone person who posts here. I've been lurking on the forums for a while, but just signed up for an account this month. Thanks to all of you, I have began my studies at WGU (Security path) in January and have finally taken my first steps in pursuing employment in the IT sector.

I just passed my second A+ exam this week and am hoping to find some employment in the IT field while I continue my studies at WGU. I have plenty of personal experience. Unfortunately, I don't have any formal IT work experience. I served 8 years in the Army doing tactical communications, but most of my experience had to do with radio networks and a little bit of "IT Management" as I increased in rank.

I was hoping some of you experts out there could give me some help with my resume. I'd really like to find a Help Desk position, but even a PC Tech job (or Geek Squad) would give me some experience to advance my career.

Notes:
  • I'm not really confident about my summary, since I don't have any formal IT work experience to relate it to.
  • I didn't list my MTA or CIW certs, because they seem kind of worthless. If someone thinks otherwise, please let me know.
  • I listed certs first, then education, then experience, because I figured that's the order of precedence in how they were related to the position I'm seeking.
  • Go Hawks!
Resume

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Look for jobs here. https://www.clearancejobs.com/jobs/

Also, look for a US base close to your house. They usually prioritize vets when hiring IT employees.
    If your going for Sec, I recommend going for Security + and CCNA. These will get you in front for help desk or NOC positions.

I cant really say much on the resume since you have no IT exp yet. Just keep in the way it is. I dont see security clearance there. I believe they give you security clearance right?
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    NOC is correct. Do you have a clearance? If do please list it. You should also get a Security+ CE to satisfy the DOD/DOS requirements.
  • Options
    I held a clearance while I was in the Army, but it isn't active anymore. I'm currently studying for the Net+ exam, and hope to have Sec+ complete by the end of March.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    thesourgin wrote: »
    I held a clearance while I was in the Army, but it isn't active anymore. I'm currently studying for the Net+ exam, and hope to have Sec+ complete by the end of March.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you still within the 10 year secret clearance window? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the investigation is good for 10 years. It went inactive when you got out of the Army and you have 2 years for another employer to pick it up. If you've exceeded 2 years you still have a secret clearance but an employer has to be willing to activate it.

usajobs is another good source. You get points (higher consideration) for being a veteran. Good luck!
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    I believe you should put under resume:

Clearance:

Inactive Secret Clearance.

Some employer might say oh all we need to do is reactivate his clearance and he fits the profile etc...
  • Options
    I actually got my TS/SCI in 2011, but I was told that I would only be able to activate it for 20 months after separation from service. If it's still able to be activated, that would certainly be helpful.
  • Options
    I think it's more beneficial currently for you to study the Security + and for go the Network +. Security + is mandatory certification for DOS and DOD contracts. Additionally, I think it's more beneficial to study for the CCNA or/and MCSA. Those certifications open up numerous doors when achieved.
  • Options
    dou2ble wrote: »
    Are you still within the 10 year secret clearance window? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the investigation is good for 10 years. It went inactive when you got out of the Army and you have 2 years for another employer to pick it up. If you've exceeded 2 years you still have a secret clearance but an employer has to be willing to activate it.

usajobs is another good source. You get points (higher consideration) for being a veteran. Good luck!

Yes it is still 10 years window
  • Options
    thesourgin wrote: »

Thanks for the advice!
    Make sure you put that in your resume so that they can see it.
    In my experience, all they have to do is re-activate it. I think they save money from you since you have that.
    Like I said, vets are priority when it comes to hiring in base.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    I think it's more beneficial currently for you to study the Security + and for go the Network +. Security + is mandatory certification for DOS and DOD contracts. Additionally, I think it's more beneficial to study for the CCNA or/and MCSA. Those certifications open up numerous doors when achieved.

Unfortunately, my current term for WGU is already locked in, so I can't add the Security+ course until I finish Network+. I'm hoping to take the exam by the end of this month. I got an 84% on the pre-assessment, but I don't feel that the questions I got were indicative of the material that will be on the actual exam. It didn't go very deep on the OSI model, protocols, or subnetting.

BTW, why would you throw a quick slant pass when you're on the 1-yard line, with three downs and a timeout left, and Beast Mode in the backfield?!
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in your shoes about a year ago, I was a Navy IT by rate but all my experience was in Comms (HF, UHF, SHF, EHF, antenna repair) and luckily a little bit of Cisco.

First, everyone I've talked to has said keeping the resume to one page is a must, especially for entry-level type positions. Also I've removed the summary sections from my resumes and I don't feel like its effected any opportunities.

Second, don't discredit your Comms work. It may not be typical IT work but there are a lot of similarities, such as troubleshooting methodologies. I'm sure you've sat in a comms room, fielded calls from users, troubleshooted circuits, reported back to users etc.... Leverage this! In my mind that's no different than sitting at a help desk and resetting passwords.

Have you looked into internships at all? Use your WGU student status and look for those. It can get you a foot in the door and its also more experience to add to the resume!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Also, from a Green Bay fan, sorry for your loss!
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did 6 years in the Army and I couldn't get one page if I had 10 font. No offense Phil.....651 I strongly disagree with the one page jumbo someone told you. Not sure if you ever served but my resume hasn't been one page since I left McDonalds in 2002 and joined the service. While serving and moving up the ranks from Squad Leader, Section Sergeant to Platoon Sergeant you take on more responsibilities. My NCOER was more than one page If I put it on a resume. Lets say you deployed your job could of changed. You can use BNCOC or ANNOC or you were acting 1ST for a month and help those respons..
    Resumes:
    Its more than one way to do a resume, you can ask 5 different people and get 5 different answers. The company I am with asked everyone to put the resume in this generic template and send back to them for whatever reason, and it has a summary section and I am in Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland where all the "big companies" are located.
    Clearance:
    If you know someone in S-2 who has access to JPAS have them look up your clearance. I had someone look up mine. Yes, I would put TS inactive on resume. I am sure they the hiring company will if selected, will check on your clearance within 48-72hrs if selected.
    Security+
    Just get on Amazon.com and order the D. Gibson book and study and pass in 30 days. I am positive spending 20 or so bucks on a book will not break the bank. Having TS and NOT Security+CE is like having a cheeseburger and no bread, its useless
    MTA/CIW: if you find a Government Job (I assume that's what you want) asking for MTA/CIW I will close my hand in the bathroom door 5 times. Yes...useless.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did 5 years active duty Navy, I understand that when you gain rank you also gain responsibility. Besides administrative work, a lot of my technical duties were very similar even as I gained rank, just in more of a supervisory role. I wasn't saying that a one page resume is what the OP needed to do, I was just reiterating tips I heard while going threw TAPS class and other workshops. Like you said, theres more than one way to write a resume.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    jofas88jofas88 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also was in the Army as a 25U. What helped me land my first job was taking advantage of the internship program that is associated with the GI Bill. I called the VA hospital in my area and asked to speak to the CIO to see if they had any internship programs, he said no, but was willing to try, especially seeing that I was a Vet and had a technical background. I ended up getting hired full time less than 6 months later on a GS 5->7->9 ladder position. Not saying this will be the case for you, my answer is obviously not something that you can create a repeatable process with. Sometimes you have to create opportunity yourself, and breach the door. Sounds lame, but sell your Vet card anywhere you can, furthermore try and find companies that are already looking for you (i.e DoD, Feds, Fed Contractors, VA). Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, always happy to help a brother out.

Edit- I left school to take the job(regret), and only had A+ at the time. Perspective info.
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you said "vet", for some reason I thought you were an animal doctor :)
  • Options
    pFunkSTL314pFunkSTL314 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You definitely HAVE to get that Security+. Like 'overthetop' stated, pay the $20-30 on amazon for a book and study for a few weeks. Network+ is good for personal knowledge, but I don't see you getting a job because you have your Network+ cert. Have you considered going for a radio position(LMR)and once you get into a company try to transition to a Help Desk position? You can try clearancejobs.com, but it is not as good as it used to be. GDIT post alot of their positions on that site, but many of the bigger companies no longer utilize it like they used to years ago.
  • Options
    I did some looking, but everything that I have been able to find has stated that a security clearance can only be activated within 24 months after separation. My wife is still in the Army, so I'll have her check with her S-2 on Monday to see if they can get any further info.

I'm not in dire need of a job right now, but I wanted to get some resume input so I'll be ready when the time comes. My wife is currently a Drill Sergeant, so she can sometimes work 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week. Because of this, my focus is primarily on taking care of our kids, the house, and my studies. We should be changing duty stations in October, so I'm not certain that a lot of employers would want to make a serious commitment to someone who would only be around for 7 or 8 months. Maybe I could find something part-time...

I'm certainly not restricting myself to government jobs, but being that I already have 8 years of federal service and my wife will always be at a military base, that is my primary sector of interest. I know that I have to get the Security+ cert, but I'm getting through the Net+ material pretty quickly. I think I'll be ready for the exam in about 2 weeks. Since the Sec+ material is related, I don't think it will take me too long.

Then my next decision will between trying and find short-term employment for the rest of the time I'm here, or just trying to bang out Linux+, CCENT, and CCNA during those months.