Frame Relay help

tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
So i been at this for hours and it could be a simple mistake. I have configured frame relay but now when I configure EIGRP it's not showing the route. (I tired with ospf but it's not working)
Please help

Here is my config.

R1
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
shutdown
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip split-horizon
encapsulation frame-relay
clock rate 2000000
!
router eigrp 1
network 192.168.1.0
network 10.0.0.0
no auto-summary
!
ip classless
!
ip flow-export version 9
!

R2

ip address 10.2.2.1 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
shutdown
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
clock rate 2000000
!
router eigrp 1
network 192.168.1.0
network 10.0.0.0
no auto-summary
!
ip classless
!
ip flow-export version 9

R3

!
ip address 10.3.3.1 255.255.255.0
duplex auto
speed auto
!
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
shutdown
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
clock rate 2000000
!
router eigrp 1
network 192.168.1.0
network 10.0.0.0
auto-summary
!
ip classless
!
ip flow-export version 9

Comments

• mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is your frame relay cloud doing? Is it switching or doing a point to point or point to multipoint? I think that's what your issue is ( p to p )

regards
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129

Here is the config on the cloud. I am using the cloud and this is what i have done.

Should i be using a router and let it be a frame relay?
  • CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guessing, but I don't think your frame-relay setup is complete, your config doesn't list any dlci information, your config suggests inverse-arp is being used (is that info being provided by the frame provider?). Also you frame-relay cloud is DCE so it should be providing the clockrate. I use Boson, so I haven't ever personally configured the ISP portion of a Frame-relay network. Use "show frame-relay pvc" to see if your circuits are up. I defer to the more knowledgeable though.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
    Well, frame relay switching is NOT supported in Packet Tracer. What you do is, in your config is have the middle router be a frame relay switch with this command on real equipment router(config)# frame relay switching. And then on the FR switch specify switching with the DLCI mapped to the output serial port going to your remote destination and vice versa from the other direction. Make sure you invoke the no frame-relay inverse arp command. What I have typed above is assuming that you are using live real equipment and not PT

It appears to me you are doing a P to P or P to Multipoint that you need to add to your address config.. OSPF has issues with FR but is overcome with a ip ospf network command that escapes me right now.

I gotta let a Guru take over from here before I start saying something stupid..

Regards
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My suggestion would be to read and try and understand how FR works before you try and configure it. Also you said you configured FR and how you cant get ospf or eigrp to work, how did you validate that FR was configured and working correctly? Have the routers learned the dlci's from the FR switch? can you ping the remote routers over the dlci's? Networking is about validating the lower layer before you move to the higher one, you obviously haven't followed this approach!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    Thank you Mikey for the feedback. I was infact trying to do FR in packet tracer and it just SUCKED.
    I came home and i have GNS3 on my desktop and did a Point to point frame relay and set up EIGRP and I was able to configure it in 30 min and it is working like a charm. So yes lesson learned DON'T DO FRAME RELAY ON PT IT SUCKS!

Also Ed I had manually configured the cloud in the picture above.
    I was able to ping across the cloud and when i did show frame-relay pvc it was showing the status active.
    Yes I was able to verify that the router did learn dlci from the frame relay "cloud" when i was using frame relay on PT. ON GNS 3 I used the frame-relay switching command and did the configuration on s0/0 frame relay route , s0/1 and s0/2
    interface Serial0/0
    no ip address
    clock rate 2000000
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 102 interface Serial0/1 201
    frame-relay route 103 interface Serial0/2 301
    !
    no ip address
    shutdown
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface Serial0/1
    no ip address
    clock rate 2000000
    frame-relay route 201 interface Serial0/0 102
    !
    interface Serial0/2
    no ip address
    clock rate 2000000
    frame-relay route 301 interface Serial0/0 103

So yes all in all packet tracer sucked and
    when i did it on GNS3 it worked perfectly.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Suggestion: Chris Bryant explains Frame relay very well, check out his video training here: https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Suggestion: Chris Bryant explains Frame relay very well, check out his video training here: https://www.udemy.com/ccna-on-demand-video-boot-camp/#/

Thanks death,
    My problem wasn't understanding the topic Jeremy also did a really good job, rather not being able to do it because of packet tracer.

Once i used a real IOS in gns3 it worked well.
    But thanks for the alternative it good to get a different prespective.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when using a routing protocol over FR don't you have to use the broadcast command at the end of your FR statements?
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
    If you disable FR inverse arp you will need to configure map statements. You would need the broadcast keyword if you intend to send broadcast or multicast frames over the dlci. RIP,EIGRP and OSPF all use multicast by default, but they can be configured them to send unicast.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This guy explains how to create a Frame relay topology in PT. I think there are 6 parts to his series -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYTS1BmHo0
    So here is another question?
    Why use frame relay?
    Is it because it is a cheaper alternative to a dedicated site to site line which cost a whole lot where you can get a virtual line which can give you the same bandwidth?
    I am still trying to wrap my head around why would we need frame relay beside the cost of it being much cheaper than a dedicated line.
    Is that correct?
    Yes frame relay was a cheaper alternative than a leased line, it enabled the provider to share a physical link between many customers. By providing different levels of service and bw guarantees, it was possible to statistically overbook a network up to 400%. ATM was it's successor, both have mostly been replaced by GigEthernet. Don't waste your time learning FR, you will probably never see it in the field. DRAM it for the exam and then reload.
    Thank you Ed. People keep talking FR is outdated but never gave a reason as to why. Your answer was perfect.
    I think knowing how it works doesn't hurt cuz it is part of the ICND2 series and they can test you on it, but i think Ed was talking about real life where it might be completely useless.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/107691-passed-icnd2-ccna-certified.html

Look for the link about above. This guy said it was on his ICND2 (You have to open this link in a diff window--something weird on techexams today)
    hmmmm interesting.