Who's done the TOGAF or PfMP

As the post says, who has done the TOGAF/PfMP certs? What was your experience? What did you learn? Was it worthwhile?

Thanks so much,

-Phil

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Phil - I know we have discussed a few things including these certifications. Real world, my former boss who now is a portfolio manager now, manages over ~80 project managers and program managers not all direct of course holds the portfolio certification. As far as I know it's the closes certification that a C level would have. I suppose Six Sigma Master BB would fall in that realm as well depending on the industry, such as manufacturing etc. But overall cross verticals, assuming it was PMO heavy (committed) I don't see how this certification doesn't help. Think the project managers boss's, boss's, boss.

If the organization is matrix or heavy projectized the portfolio certification will kick rear for sure. Couple that with a Masters degree and solid experience (meaning ~5+ high level management) you are looking at potentially 220,000 - 280,000 not including bonus. (JMHO)

I know program managers (who are managed by portfolio managers who make 135+ less bonus). Their bonuses are sometimes > their their salaries.

HTH
    Suck we don't have anyone coming forward for TOGAF. We have had architects reply when this question was asked. I would recommend doing a search there have been TOGAF questions asked in the past.
  • chidokschidoks Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always had an interest in TOGAF. Recently, I've have been looking at TOGAF more closely recently. So far, I've just been reading the materials on the web site. But at some point, I'll probably buy a book. The topics are very good. I'm not really sure that I would bother taking the certification. But I definitely intend to read the book.
    Paul if you find a good book please share. The only book I found that I had any confidence in was from Van Haren publishing, and I am still not convinced.
    Philz are you going for the certification? If you are I would love to pick your brain, it's the only one right now that I have any interest in at all.

I have no desire to be a portfolio manager, but a solutions / applications architect would be my next jump. Hopefully I can make it before 40. :)
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Yep,

My goal is to get the TOGAF Foundation done before summer and the TOGAF Part two before Fall.
    Keep us updated on your progress.. Its on my to do list too..

philz1982 wrote: »
    Yep,

My goal is to get the TOGAF Foundation done before summer and the TOGAF Part two before Fall.
    Yep,

My todo list this year has adjusted to the TOGAF, CISA, and MCSD.
    Phil,
    Whats your end goal? I see you have a lot of technical certs but you are also working towards a lot of management type certifications?
    chidoks wrote: »
    Phil,
    Whats your end goal? I see you have a lot of technical certs but you are also working towards a lot of management type certifications?

Hahaha,

End goal? Who needs an end goal? Seriously though, I'm working towards project oriented work that pays really well (500k+ would be ideal). Ideally the job will require me to be constantly learning and will involve tasks that don't run longer then 3-6 months. Also, the job will not be routine (e.g network management, or database management). So that is leading me towards, either Enterprise architecture, Systems Integration, Vulnerability Researcher, or CTO.
    Yup.. similar path to where i want to go.. Portfolio management, Enterprise Architecture would be ideal for me too.. Long term goal would be to either consult... work a couple of months a year and take a few months off to pursue other interests or possibly start my own systems integration firm and get a chunk of the government contracting space..

If its okay with you, i could send you a linkedin request?
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Hahaha,

End goal? Who needs an end goal? Seriously though, I'm working towards project oriented work that pays really well (500k+ would be ideal). Ideally the job will require me to be constantly learning and will involve tasks that don't run longer then 3-6 months. Also, the job will not be routine (e.g network management, or database management). So that is leading me towards, either Enterprise architecture, Systems Integration, Vulnerability Researcher, or CTO.
    Of course, should be in my signature.
    Maybe you all can start a motivational thread. It's time to step up and get a high level certification.

The last part was directed at myself, FYI.
    Just for fun I did a search on LinkedIn (TOGAF) as the only search and the findings would be as you would expect.

Enterprise Architects (Several)
    Solutions Architects
    Vice Presidents
    Executive Directors
    CTO (2)

Nothing lower level than a EA.

I would say this qualifies as a big boy certification.

If I ended up getting this one, I would probably omit most of my others.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just for fun I did a search on LinkedIn (TOGAF) as the only search and the findings would be as you would expect.

Enterprise Architects (Several)
    Solutions Architects
    Vice Presidents
    Executive Directors
    CTO (2)

Nothing lower level than a EA.

I would say this qualifies as a big boy certification.

If I ended up getting this one, I would probably omit most of my others.

And how did it go for you?
  • srinivasan117srinivasan117 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    have done ISO 27001 LI/LA , COBIT 5 Also ISO 22301 LI/LA , I am confused with the value of TOGAF 9.1 vs CISSP ,
    which would will make more value , does TOGAF has same value as CISSP/CISM has ? are both certifications are same level certifications ?
    I left technical/operations 3 years back and went totally into implementations of multiple frameworks such as NIST,HIPPA and PCI.
    so i am confused over which one will add more value .
    i want to become information/enterprise architect .
    as of now apart from ISO Certifications i dont have any high level certifications ,
    Kindly suggest me which one i should go for