Options

Starting on security certifications

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just after some advise from people who have been through this situation previously. I currently hold the following certificates:

ITIL Foundation 2011
Windows 7 70-680 (MICTP)
Windows 7 70-685 (MCTS)
Comptia A+ (older then 2012)
Comptia Network+ (older then 2012)
Certificate IV IT

I'm really looking at starting to learn more about security as i've always been fascinated by it. I've been looking on the Comptia website and it states to start with the Microsoft MTA 367 (security fundamentals).

Is this the best place to start? I haven't really done anything in this particular field but have general computer knowledge etc

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Microsoft doesn't offer anything worthwhile in security that I'm aware of.

A common starting place for security is Comptia's Security+. This is a broad certification that gives a good overview of alot of security topics, though none of them are covered in real depth. It is suitable for a beginner.

For those with a heavy networking focus the CCNA Security is very popular. ISC2's SSCP and SANS GSEC are also both available, but are much less common entry points to the Security world for one reason or another.

I'd probably recommend S+ because it is cheap to learn, general enough to serve as a good introduction to the wide world of security, and is decently recognized. (at least here in the US)
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As above, I'd suggest the Security+ too. After that I'd consider the SSCP/CISSP as an end goal.