Options

Getting a job as a Network Admin

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So I just recently got my Network+. I will also have a B.S in Information Systems from a pretty well known state college in December. I am currently working an internship and a job as IT Support for my college. I haven't started at the job on campus but it seems like it's the typical help desk stuff but for only around 90-100 people.The internship I am currently doing is software support for a proprietary software.

I am wondering if I would be able to land a Network Admin job by the time I graduate in December. My contract for my internship ends in June so I would have had a total of 8 months of experience here. I will also have about 10 months of experience doing Help Desk at my university. I have also had about 6 months at Best Buy Geek Squad. Will this be enough experience to land a Network Admin job by the time I graduate? I haven't really gotten to work with much networks but I do plan on building a home lab so I can prepare for the CCNA.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hard to say if Help Desk experience will translate directly in to a network admin type job; it depends on the employer. I'd look for an entry level NOC job though. I'm going to be hiring an entry level NOC technician sometime this year and will give preference to candidates with a CCNA + 1-2 years experience in a "network" support role.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on the employer. Getting your CCNA would probably make it easier to get your foot in the door though. I would say most employers looking for network admins would want someone with at their CCNA and some hands on experience. I wouldn't rule it out and it never hurts to apply!
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Does a Bachelors trump the CCNA? I know it's best to have both, which I do plan on doing, but I am just wondering if its better than having a CCNA. Lets say we have two candidates, one with a B.S in Information Systems with 12 months of help desk experience and another with a CCNA and 12 months of Help Desk experience, which one would the employer go with?

Right now I am focused on graduating so I can't really find time to study for the CCNA. I did the Network+ over winter break but I don't know if I could bang out the CCNA over the summer while working full time. The courses I have to take at my university do include networking classes. It's just not Cisco software specific. They are more geared towards Network Engineering and theories.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    marcj04 wrote: »
    Does a Bachelors trump the CCNA? I know it's best to have both, which I do plan on doing, but I am just wondering if its better than having a CCNA. Lets say we have two candidates, one with a B.S in Information Systems with 12 months of help desk experience and another with a CCNA and 12 months of Help Desk experience, which one would the employer go with?

Right now I am focused on graduating so I can't really find time to study for the CCNA. I did the Network+ over winter break but I don't know if I could bang out the CCNA over the summer while working full time. The courses I have to take at my university do include networking classes. It's just not Cisco software specific. They are more geared towards Network Engineering and theories.

I wouldn't base it just on that if it was me. I'd gauge their knowledge by asking technical questions. My bet would be the CCNA guy would have much more knowledge of Cisco equipment over the other guy though.
  • Options
    Looks like I better work on my CCNA then haha. Hopefully I can fully learn everything over the summer. I hear that the CCENT is similar to the Network+ so hopefully I can bust that out fairly quick. It's just so hard for me to dedicated time on my certs because right now I am focusing on getting my bachelor's while maintaining a high GPA.

Does having a bachelors substitute experience? I have seen some places that say that a Bachelor's can substitute 5 years of experience. I really don't know if this applies to most places though
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need to have your CCNA to even make it through the resume screening process. Getting a Network role is about climbing the ladder and putting in your dues. Bachelors degree does not trump experience but it really helps to land the job. Once you land a Network role, no one really cares what your degree is in or what certs you have. They only care if you can do the job.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    You need to have your CCNA to even make it through the resume screening process. Getting a Network role is about climbing the ladder and putting in your dues. Bachelors degree does not trump experience but it really helps to land the job. Once you land a Network role, no one really cares what your degree is in or what certs you have. They only care if you can do the job.

I would have to agree with this assessment. It's been my impression that EXPERIENCE and CERTIFICATION rules the IT field. EDUCATION is last. All 3 is great to have.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I always see MCSA + CCNA @ Network Admin positions. I think 8 months is very doable, specially if you got previous IT experience.
    meh
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    It's hard to say because every company and hiring manager is different. Some guys don't care about certs while some do. But I bet if it came down to a short list of candidates, where everyone had experience, then maybe he'd pick the guy with the certs and completely ignore what degrees each one held.

As others say on the forum.. experience + certifications makes you noticeable. Someone with no experience + certs may get you through HR but not much further if other candidates hold experience.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!