Options

Post Security+ advice

noswaithnoswaith Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I am new to IT. Passed Network+ two weeks ago and now studying for Security+ with a test date at the end of March. I am a government contractor, so Network+/Security+ have been made mandatory by my employer. I am looking at Network administration jobs and wonder what is the next certification I should work towards? What will help me function best? Lots of theory now in my head, with little hands on experience.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    battletuxbattletux Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA would be the next logical step if you want to be a network admin.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd round out the Comp TIAs with the A+, and then I'd see what the position exposes you to, as battletux said, perhaps CCENT/CCNA would be the way to go after that, or perhaps you'll need a CASP/CISSP for the security work, it depends on your job, technology exposure, and what positions are above you that you want to aim towards.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know in our shop contractors on the help desk and network technicians all need some of the system specific certs, MCSA on help desk, vendor or LPI on the system techs. Security requires CEH for almost all functions. CISSP for more advanced functions like pentesting and assessments.

While having other certs are never bad, those are what you'll need to stay relevent in the contractor world. I honestly wouldn't waste the money on A+, and knowing what I know now about the contracts and DoD I would have gone straight to Sec+ and skipped Net+.
  • Options
    ProtoPrimeProtoPrime Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    I know in our shop contractors on the help desk and network technicians all need some of the system specific certs, MCSA on help desk, vendor or LPI on the system techs. Security requires CEH for almost all functions. CISSP for more advanced functions like pentesting and assessments.

While having other certs are never bad, those are what you'll need to stay relevent in the contractor world. I honestly wouldn't waste the money on A+, and knowing what I know now about the contracts and DoD I would have gone straight to Sec+ and skipped Net+.

Reading this forum, I keep seeing people recommend going straight to the SEC + as the best step. I was planning on starting with the Network + first because I feel that my only network experience is insufficient. (I've flashed DD-wrt on my router, set up a plex server, played around with SSH and played with opening ports in my firewall for various things.) I'm under the impression that I would really struggle with Security + as I have no Corporate Networking experience.

Is this correct or is studying for the Sec + first (without the Network + learning sufficient enough to be successful with this test.) I plan on taking both Tests eventually but I may have a chance for the Security + to be reimbursed while I'm still under this current contract (which may be ending soon, which is the only reason I'm considering switching my studying schedule around.)
  • Options
    keybladerkeyblader Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Prime

I obtained Sec+ Cert 2mos ago. I had no official networking experience either. My last job was a courtroom assistant. You seem to have had more experience than I did before I took the exam. I don't know what your time frame is for taking the exam but just make sure you don't take it lightly..Use more than one study source..and put a good amount of time in...If interested I have a previous January thread I started about the materials I used and how much time I put in....I started with Darril Gibson's Guide/Website for Perf Based Qs....and then added Prowse's Guide (main source of study) which I highly recommend to complement Gibson's Guide. I also had a Networking for Dummies book on hand in case I needed to research something in that area. Messer's Youtube vids and Gibsons phone app helped during during downtime s/a standing in line at Chipotle or wherever.
    Keep in mind I studied for a long period of time but I think I could have taken it within 4-5 mos.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The reason for going straight to Sec+ on the gov't side is that on the 8570 chart sec+ covers IAT level 2 AND the level below it. Net+ would be IAT level 1 only. Don't get me wrong, studying for Net+ is never a bad thing and you can always learn more. I simply meant that for gov't workers, they almost always require IAT level 2 (Sec+) at a minimum. Since it covers you for Net+ there's no point in paying for both tests if you only need Sec+
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only people I would recommend the A+ to is to people with zero experience with a PC or someone new in a desktop support position. Even then I probably think you should skip it and go for the a Microsoft Certification like MTA or MCSA: Windows 7.

But if you already have an IT job, then skip those desktop support Certs and start studying for something you want to go in. Systems Administrator? MCSA: Server 2012... Networking? CCNA, Juniper... Virtualization? VMWare. There are a ton of different routes depending on what you want to do.