Options

General advice - In need of help

DumbAsEverDumbAsEver Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been around here for sometime just reading posts and checking things out. I am in need of some advice from IT professionals.

Currently I am in a NOC position (JR), and I want more responsibilities. I currently hold no certs, but I am interested in Security+. I really want to go down the security path. The company I work with wants me to get A+, but I have tried to read the book, and material and it is to dry for me. It doesn't hold my attention span like the security field does. I have a AS in Computer Networking Systems. I really want to get into a career where I would be excited and happy to work. The NOC just doesnt do it for me, checking alerts, running malware / virus scans. They recently tried giving us some firewall, switches, and backup devices to do maintenance on, which is checking for updates, applying the updates and all that. Ive been here for about a year, and while I know it takes time, Im just not seeing it here. Ideally I want to configure firewalls, switches, routers.. and I think it would be safe to say I want in the.. Network Engineer / Security field.

Right now, I want to sat that the certs I would like to get are the N+, S+, up to CCNA R/S or Security (But thats hardware specific)

For those of you with experience and knowledge of this kind.. How did you do it? Study wise, carer wise. how did you get your foot in the door for a Security job?

Do I have to go back to school? What degree would be a good choice for any of this..

I appreciate any answers, as it may guide and direct me. Im just having trouble on where to start.

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To me it looks like your cert plan is good. I've found certs to be more useful than a degree. What my degree did give me was broadening my knowledge and allow me to jump in to some things and not sink. If you're curious about job requirements for whatever you're looking for, check the jobs boards for your area and see what they list.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    I will also say your certification plan sounds good.

Personally, I did A+, Net+, CCNA, CCNA Sec, and now I'm working on CCNP.

Having a solid foundation in routing and switching is important. Where in security did you plan on going towards? I think answering that question will also help you narrow down a better plan.

Additionally, working in different parts of IT will help increase your security knowledge as you learn how to deploy applications, servers, VMs, networks, etc.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    DumbAsEverDumbAsEver Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats my big icon_rolleyes.gif face.. 'Where in security do you wanna go?' Im not sure.. I want to get in the field somehow, and advance from there. Im not sure of the job titles, as I was sure I was of a couple careers I also Im interested in but not as much as the whole security field: Network Engineer, Systems Admin. I dont know security titles, and this will come with time as I advance in my career and where I want.

I guess the first step would be to actually stop procrastinating and actually start on the certs so I can get my foot in the door somewhere.

Thanks
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Sounds like you know what to do. Get started :)

Once you gain more experience in other areas such as networking, systems administration, help desk, etc.. you will learn how to secure each. In my opinion, having experience in each will make you a better security professional.

It's difficult to trust the word of a CISSP if they haven't had any experience in configuring a network switch or has not had much experience with business applications. It's easy to run NMAP or Nessus and point out that port 23 is open on a system but not know why it is or how you can mitigate the risk.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!