Options

Adding Lab knowledge to resume?

ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone ever add lab knowledge or courses taken to their resume?

Example

Courses taken

Desktop Client Support
Help Desk Principles
Hardware and Software support
Cisco networking academy Networking Basics
Fundamentals of Security
CBT Nuggets Cisco CCENT video series
CBT Nuggets Cisco CCNA video series

Books read or maybe add video series here

Scaling Networks
Introduction to Networks
etc

Knowledge through School/Home Labs

Cisco 3560 switch and 2811 routers
Configure VLans
Configure INter vlan routing
Apply static routes
Configure Single-Area OSPF
Configure simple Access control lists
Configure DHCP on routers
Configure NAT on edge router
Configure Rapid PVST
Troubleshoot IPV4 issues

Install Windows server 2008 and 2012
Sysprep a reference computer using imagex
Crate and format hard drive using disk management

etc

I have no experience in IT other than what I do at home and school. I am trying to bridge the gap between people without experience but going to school/learning and people with experience but only dealing with daily processes. icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actual courses, sure in this case I would. CBT's and such are not really courses, just overviews.

Labs shouldn't be on a resume, IMO, but you should bring them up in the interview to show that you are trying to learn.

I would get something like CompTIA / Cisco / MS certs or the like to get noticed a bit more.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed with the above. A CCNA on your resume would basically say all of that and it'll be much more beneficial.
  • Options
    theitprotheitpro Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you added Lab knowledge, I will laugh at you as your resume goes into the trash
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Agreed. Listing lab work really just makes it seem like you're grasping for straws, and I'd argue the same with some of your training. If you can complete it in a day, it doesn't belong on a resume as an accomplishment.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have Cisco networking academy alumni on my resume right under the school I went to.

I also have a technology section on my resume with a list of Hardware, Software, OS, and protocols that I am very comfortable with. This is mainly to catch the keywords/buzzwords recruiters search for.

If you don't have experience, get certified. Listing books and training videos won't do anything for you.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Priston,

Do you think adding the technology field to your resume helped?

I have my ccent A+ and MCTS 70-680 listed in my resume. I guess I thought it would be a good idea to list stuff like that to let them know I really studied hard for the tests and not brain dumped them like other people.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ecuadra wrote: »
    Priston,

Do you think adding the technology field to your resume helped?

I have my ccent A+ and MCTS 70-680 listed in my resume. I guess I thought it would be a good idea to list stuff like that to let them know I really studied hard for the tests and not brain dumped them like other people.

There's zero reason to assume you brain dumped on anything unless you can't answer basic questions. Any job is going to quiz you on your knowledge so all you're doing is cluttering up your resume.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some job advertisements list a bunch of protocols in the job description a lot of times i'll see EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, ARP. I think having those same protocols (If you know them) on your resume will really help recruiters contacting you. If your not comfortable answering questions about certain protocols don't list them.

Example:

Technology

Hardware:
    Software:
    Protocols:

2600/2800/3800 ISR, 3560, 6500, N5K, N2K, UCS
    VMware, Power IQ, MS Office, Visio, Putty, WinSCP
    Windows Server 2003, 2008, Windows 7
    DHCP, DNS, SSH, Telnet, RDP, VNC, TFTP, FTP, ARP, GLBP, NTP, STP, VTP

A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA