Options

Lapse in insurance between jobs

jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been offered a pretty hard to pass up opportunity - moving into the true technical side of IT security with a nice title, 20% bump in pay, interesting industry, paid conferences/training (SANS)/certs, etc..but the other benefits aren't quite as good as what I have now. My biggest concern is - if I was to leave my current job, health insurance would be terminated at the end of the month in which I leave (likely March), then at the new job I wouldn't have health insurance until the first of the month following 90 days of employment. Insurance isn't a big deal for me, but it definitely is for my 1 year old son.

Is there any real alternative here other than COBRA (would run me almost $800/month for those 3-4 months, salary increase would take care of that) or short-term health ins? Would hate to go the short-term route because of the kid, but I'm not sure if other options exist..

What have you all done in this situation???

Comments

• Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nersesian wrote: »
    Your state has a health insurance exchange setup:

Oklahoma health insurance exchange: Obamacare enrollment

There is a prorated penalty for not carrying insurance now which would be reflected (and possibly offset) through your tax returns.

Thanks! I'll check that out...it's crazy how uneducated I am with health insurance.

I wouldn't let it lapse, this is more of a question of what's the best way to make sure my son and I are covered during that 90 day period if I accept this offer.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think COBRA is your only option... I would bite the bullet and go that route, rather than trying to find/get signed up for a temp policy.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed