Options

Changing degree programs at WGU

rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been thinking about swapping from the WGU Net Admin degree over to the Net Security degree. It seems to be more network focused than the admin one.

Do they reevaluate my transcript again? I have a CCNP and CISSP. When I moved into the NetAdmin program I didn't get any credit for the CCNP. I will probably also pick up my CCNA Security before the new term starts. What other certs are gained?

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'd probably have to ask for a transcript re-eval when they do the catalog change. Probably only between terms if they would do it. I'd start with a phone call to Student Services.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually considered doing this. I have about 5 classes left in my BS Security but wanted to go to Net Admin because I want to get an MCSA right after I graduate so I thought, why not just switch degree plans? My next term starts in April and I'll probably graduate within 3 months of that leaving 3 months of time left. However, my mentor told me there would be 6 more classes added (on top of what I have now), which would put me into yet another term. I know one of them is a Java course (which I don't want to do). My job here pays for certs anyway so I think it's best just to graduate on time and get the MCSA on my own.

I'd contact your mentor and ask them first.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started out in the Net Admin track back when it still had the Cisco classes and when they removed them I immediately switched over to security. All they should do is a reevaluation to make sure all your classes jive up but definitely talk to your mentor about it.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Looking through it last night I am 99% sure I will take this path. I would just much rather do the Linux certs than the Microsoft ones.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a similar situation w/ my Net+ not going over when I switched from Net Admin to Security. Basically, if for whatever reason you're not given credit for a class that you already had the cert for, then just send your mentor the certification verification link (CompTIA has a specific link you can provide) and they'll make sure you get credit for the stuff you've already done.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I personally believe that the Linux+ and CCNA/Security are in much higher demand than the MCSA certifications. It really depends what you want to be doing in your career though. Do you want to be staring at Linux terminal or Cisco IOS everyday or a Windows Server console?

I probably would have picked the Security track as well if I had attended WGU for the bachelor degree. Keep in mind that aside from the certifications, the track will not be listed on your degree. It will just state Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (to my knowledge).
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    I am a cisco network engineer, so I would much rather be in a command line than doing MS stuff. I used to be a Windows administrator before I jumped to networking. Frankly I'd rather slam my head in a door than go back to it. :)
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I personally believe that the Linux+ and CCNA/Security are in much higher demand than the MCSA certifications.

I do not agree with you on that statement. CCNA and Security maybe, Linux+ not so much. Linux is in demand, but its only an increase over itself and not others.

That being said, I just switched degree paths. All it took was a chat with my student mentor, and she did all the legwork from there. It won't start until the beginning of your next term however.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Shdwmage,

The demand for Microsoft certified professionals will always be there...

The demand for Linux professionals is at an all time high: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2487874/linux/demand-for-linux-skills-rises.html

My advice for certifications is as follows...

If you want to be competent with Microsoft Servers or Client Operating Systems, go for the MCSA...
    If you want to be competent with Cisco Switches and Routers, go for the CCNA.
    If you want to be competent with Linux, then go for the Linux+ (although the RHCSA has better ROI).

I see a lot of job postings with the CCNA as a requirement. I also see MCSE listed as a requirement. Not very often do I see the MCSA listed as a requirement. If Linux knowledge is a requirement, then you're going to be better off having the Linux+ certification over the MCSA. It really just depends what the requirements are for the position that you apply for and what your career goals are.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    Well, looks like I will be changing programs.

However, they won't accept my CCNA or CCNP for the CCNA class because it says CCNA-Route and Switch. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I guess I can set some new record and take the CCNA exams and the Project+ in one day, 16 credit hours. :)
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    Well, looks like I will be changing programs.

However, they won't accept my CCNA or CCNP for the CCNA class because it says CCNA-Route and Switch. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I guess I can set some new record and take the CCNA exams and the Project+ in one day, 16 credit hours. :)

That makes no sense. I'd talk to someone else.
  • Options
    That is the thing about WGU, they have some really good ideas that are sometimes bizarrely implemented. I think it comes from people not familiar with how things work. Term is up at end of March, going to change programs then get a new mentor.