Options

Once a consultant always a consultant?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
It's been really tough integrating into a corporate FTE position the last 2 years. I've worked for two different companies and the concept / culture is so strange to me. I'm into banging out deliverables and moving on to the next one. Of course with quality and rigor, but nevertheless banging them out. Now it seems like everyone for themselves and I only care about my piece. While this is great, I have been trained and mentored to not think that way. I am a high level guy who learn from the top down and seems to add the most value in doing things that way. Silo'd responsibilities and tight scopes really limit the way you can impact. I've been told don't worry be yourself so I am, which isn't always a really smooth transition. It's hard to go back and forth, from my perspective pick one and stick with it.

***This by no means I am unhappy, I am it's just takes sometime to adjust.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I was recently on a 3 month staff aug project, my first staffing assignment in the last 6 years since I got back into consulting. After a couple of weeks there I was convinced I am not ready to go back to an internal staff position. Sitting there waiting to respond in case Exchange broke, but not given the approval to fix it so it wouldn't break, was very frustrating. I feel so much more effective as a consultant.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can see where you are coming from. This is my first position where I control most everything on my end, nothing on the other end, and still have to make requests for parts in the middle. Not exactly fun because at one of the spectrum I could do what I wanted and on the other end I could just say "X Team said no" or "X team is working on/responsible for it". I'm almost 18 months in and I haven't exactly adjusted to it. But I agree with just doing you because that is how change is exacted. Eventually those walls come down or are at least lowered. As of right now, prior to my arrival, we wouldn't had done 90% of the work I've completed at this point. Only takes a small spark to light a fire.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My case I have done both and I know what you mean. I still haven't gotten used to it either (Doing this about 18 months now also) and there are things I miss about consulting and things I don't.

I enjoy the time I get with my family compared to before and am not exactly silo'd here but I know what you mean on getting to touch a lot less.