Options

How accurate is salary.com?

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I was looking up the salaries for a Network Engineer in Washington, DC and it was around $67k. The salary in the same area for a Network Admin is $62k. That seems a bit low for a Network Engineer. I have heard some Network Engineers making upwards of six figures. Is salary.com not accurate on certain jobs? It seems like that they are spot on for Network Admins salaries.

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Glassdoor.com is probably the most accurate site you're going to come across because employees of companies actually enter in their salaries along with job descriptions.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Glassdoor.com is probably the most accurate site you're going to come across because employees of companies actually enter in their salaries along with job descriptions.

i was going to say this....but yeah, if you know the company you're looking @ applying too, go to GB, and check out the salary section, and gauge what your salary requirement should be...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    i was going to say this....but yeah, if you know the company you're looking @ applying too, go to GB, and check out the salary section, and gauge what your salary requirement should be...

I looked at Glassdoor while negotiating for my current position...they offered me exactly what the median salary was for this position at the company in my city. I countered with what Glassdoor said the max for the position was and they accepted (10% increase from their offer). In that case, Glassdoor helped immensely haha
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    That's because you are some how fixated on titles. A network engineer at one company will be a completely different thing at another.

glassdoor as mentioned before can provide some insight
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Exactly as RouteMyPacket pointed out, titles are too vague in IT to pull much accurate info just from them. People with the title Network Engineer can be anything from desktop support to architecture roles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Robert Half has a really good salary guide here. Remember they are averages and it also has variables for specific skills and locations.