How do I set up this lab? Can't figure it out (CCENT)

Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! I am at page 208-209 of the official cert guide by wendell (Latest edtion). I am using a simulation which for the most part has helped me in my learning. This topic is about securing access with external authentication servers. Since I don't know how to make a AAA server for authentication I need to go in the switch and configure the local log in entries. My problem is either way it requires a server of some sort and I can't seem to get a simple DNS and Web server to work.

Step 1. Configure the vty lines using usernames, with either locally configured usernames (using the login local command) or a AAA server. (I decided to choose to locally configure the usernames through the switch)

Step 2. If using locally defined usernames, add one or more username global configuration commands to configure username/password pairs. (Done this step with no problems)

Step 3. Configure the switch to generate a matched public and private key pair to use for encryption, using two commands.

A. As a requisite for the next command, configure the DNA domain name with the ip domain-name name global configuration command. (I went into the configure terminal in the switch CLI and attempted to do this without a DNS. Either I am using this command wrong or I need a DNS server.)

B. Create the encryption keys using the cypto key generate esa global configuration command. (Didn't get this far. Stuck on step A)

Any thoughts and helps would be greatly appreciated. :D

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    3a no you don't need a dns server to set an ip domain-name. So, that means your doing something wrong
  • sucanushiesucanushie Member Posts: 163
    You would need to create a domain name with the ip domain-name command

then generate the keys with the crypto key generate rsa command
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    hostname R1
    ip domain-name example.org
    crypto key generate rsa

OR

crypto key generate rsa general-keys label R1.example.org

Both do the same thing with regards to the RSA key pair generated.
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! For some reason the command is not working.

R1(config)#ip domain-name mycompany.com
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I have no idea what the problem is. It is packet tracer 5.0 too out dated or something?
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Hey guys! For some reason the command is not working.

R1(config)#ip domain-name mycompany.com
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I have no idea what the problem is. It is packet tracer 5.0 too out dated or something?

i just ran it on pt 6 and it works fine im not sure about 5 but you do have the correct syntax. try doing a ip ? and so on to see if ip domain-name shows up in the help
  • Raymond MasonRaymond Mason Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright, I did that and the following showed up. I am not seeing any domain-name.

R1(config)#ip ?
    default-gateway Specify default gateway (if not routing IP)
    domain-lookup Enable IP Domain Name System hostname translation
    host Add an entry to the ip hostname table
    name-server Specify address of name server to use

This happens on every switch I try to use. 2950 through 2960 Catalyst series. Glad to know its not me. I guess my packet tracer is just borked. Just gonna have to go past this or find a simulator that works. 5.0 is kind of funny to me. When I look at other packet tracer videos they have waay more stuff in their version then mine.