CCNP R+S or CCNA W/CCDA next?

rezadential2285rezadential2285 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking for the next choice in certification route. I am sort of entry level although I have my CCNA R+S. I have been doing Sys-admin work for the past year and before that was in a help desk role for about 3 years. I definitely love networking so far and the Cisco certification material. I have also bought moderate amount of equipment to make my learning experience more "real world". Right now I am currently on my CCNA Sec (required coursework for my degree) and I am thinking about doing CCNA W or maybe CCDA. I was told not to really waste my time with those and go for my CCNP. I've also been told that not having the experience along with a CCNP can really make you look bad in an interview with someone who is knowledgeable about that field. I am still weighing my options but I for sure want to get further into a networking career. Would it be wise for me to go CCNP or CCDA/CCNA W?

Comments

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Do you want to actually learn something or collect certifications? What do you want to do? You have to have a goal before you can ever lay down the plan of how to get there.

You're in a System Admin role, hmmm...how does collecting networking based certifications help you become a better System Administrator? Do you want to become a Network Engineer? You have the first step out of the way, CCNA R/S

Let's say you land a network role interview and the perspective employer says:

"I see you have a CCNA R/S, would you have a problem sitting down in front of a Desktop running say Packet Tracer and putting together this network that I have drawn out on paper and make it functional? Can you do that?"

A technical interview is basically an employer saying: "You want me to pay you based on your credentials BUT can you show me the skills I expect from someone with your credentials?"

See where I am going? Could you do it?

Collecting certifications is short sighted, there is nothing wrong with you starting on your CCNP studies right now but you need to be looking to transition to a network position wherein you will utilize the skills your cert say's you have and then expand upon them via day to day ops and your CCNP studies.

If you came to me as an interviewee with a CCNA R/S, Security, Wireless, and Design certs then I am going to interview you in a manner that you will need to present practical knowledge at the CCNA level for each one of those tracks. Do you honestly believe you could do that?

1. Get your foot into the door somewhere where you can work on networks
    2. Continue your CCNP R/S

That's my 2cents anyway
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    RouteMyPacket is spot on. But if you're looking to get into networking then my recommendation is to go through CCNP.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • rezadential2285rezadential2285 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response, RouteMyPacket. I can see your point and it would be a little difficult to maintain a level of knowledge and be able to reference it on the spot in the middle of an interview. I guess my goal was to get a base understanding of each set of technologies and utilize that knowledge for the field (hence having real equipment, not just using simulations and rote memorization of book material). I would really only be listing my CCNA R + S and CCNA Security on my resume. The CCDA and CCNA Wireless wouldn't be on there.

On the other hand, I may just start with my CCNP R+S and fore go doing CCNA Wireless and CCDA. I plan on only being at this current job for another year and then I am out. I am about to sit my CCNA Security so I can finish this class that I am on and move to my next class. I was told it takes roughly a year to get through the ROUTE, SWITCH, and TSHOOT exams. I won't list my CCNP R+S on my resume but I will be using that knowledge to better answer questions in the technical interview(s). I also feel that by doing the CCNP R+S over the span of a year, I can keep my networking knowledge fresh until I start looking for a new position.

I am not expecting to land some high end job, I will probably end up taking a pay cut probably but I would rather wait a year because I have some other commitments that I have to deal with first before I can look for a new position.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Thanks for your response, RouteMyPacket. I can see your point and it would be a little difficult to maintain a level of knowledge and be able to reference it on the spot in the middle of an interview. I guess my goal was to get a base understanding of each set of technologies and utilize that knowledge for the field (hence having real equipment, not just using simulations and rote memorization of book material). I would really only be listing my CCNA R + S and CCNA Security on my resume. The CCDA and CCNA Wireless wouldn't be on there.

On the other hand, I may just start with my CCNP R+S and fore go doing CCNA Wireless and CCDA. I plan on only being at this current job for another year and then I am out. I am about to sit my CCNA Security so I can finish this class that I am on and move to my next class. I was told it takes roughly a year to get through the ROUTE, SWITCH, and TSHOOT exams. I won't list my CCNP R+S on my resume but I will be using that knowledge to better answer questions in the technical interview(s). I also feel that by doing the CCNP R+S over the span of a year, I can keep my networking knowledge fresh until I start looking for a new position.

I am not expecting to land some high end job, I will probably end up taking a pay cut probably but I would rather wait a year because I have some other commitments that I have to deal with first before I can look for a new position.

What are you getting out of your job that helps you become a Network Engineer? You want to stay there for another year? You are going to be paid for what you can do so if you legitimately have CCNA R/S skills then why not make the transition now to a network based role?

Once you land in a network role you may be exposed to various technology tracks (i.e., Security, DataCenter, Wireless) and find one that just clicks with you, you could then begin expanding your knowledge through studies and hands on experience then go from there.

Again, if your goal is to become a network engineer, how does staying a system admin for another year help you achieve your goal?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?