Options

Work Schedule and Study time

Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok so I work a schedule which is Wednesday - Saturday 11am-9pm. I eat dinner around 10pm and after a 10 hour shift I just want to collapse and have no motivation or energy to study. Mornings are another issue because i never have the time wind down after getting off so late, getting up is extremely difficult to do. I tried studying at work but dealing with the constant drama and office politics is sucking the air out that one. That only leaves me 3 days off but majority of that is used by taking care of business which I cannot do the rest of the week. I am one of those people that needs at least 6 hours of solid sleep for me to be able to absorb new information. Any suggestions? What are folks in a similar situation doing?

Comments

• Options
    OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Unfortunately I don't have any useful advice that can help you, but I am damn near in the exact situation and have been for years... You're not alone, I'm trying to find the energy & motivation to study for my CCENT/CCNA.

It sucks, because right now, the only way I can advance in my current job or find a better job, is to study, learn and earn some certs. Difficult task to accomplish when I'm either too tired, too busy or simply can't retain the information.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's important to remember finding time to study and work is not always easy. That is one of the main reasons that it pays off. The people that do it will usually put themselves in a better position in the long run. This is not a guarantee but it's a good place to start.

Now only you can decide how you react to situations. Stay positive and you can maintain focus.
    If you have no energy in the morning it might be a good idea to start with exercise. Eat a good breakfast and do what needs to be done.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can so relate to this, as when I come home from work I just want to crash. Not only am I tired, but the motivation is drained throughout the day. When I'm at work doing my thing, I just think about going home and labbing and doing some reading. But when I pull up to my house, and walk into my house I'm just drained! I work about 10 to 12hr days right now, with all the projects at work. And to add more to my plate, I have a 7month old who just now became mobile!

Some things I've noticed help, shy of downing caffeine to the point where it's unhealthy. I've been doing that the last month or so, and I need to stop. For me it helped when I was in the gym. Just about an hour a day, 5 days a week. Well you barely have time to study, now add the gym? That 1hr each day will get you in shape, and give you more energy and focus. Drink lots of water throughout the day, and be sure to take a multi-vitamin everyday.

And remember your body will always want to fail or give up. It's just human nature. That's why that last rep in the gym counts, because you pushed through the failure and cranked out the rep that matters. That's the gain of muscle, that's what makes you grow. It's the same thing with our minds, we have to push through those thoughts of failure and giving up. Once you control that and push through, the results are epic! After all the brain is OUR muscle right? It's our muscle to get that next certification, to get those CCIE digits, to succeed in our IT fields.

Stay motivated, stay strong, stay positive ...you'll look back later on in life and be happy you did!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    It's important to remember finding time to study and work is not always easy. That is one of the main reasons that it pays off. The people that do it will usually put themselves in a better position in the long run. This is not a guarantee but it's a good place to start.

Now only you can decide how you react to situations. Stay positive and you can maintain focus.
    If you have no energy in the morning it might be a good idea to start with exercise. Eat a good breakfast and do what needs to be done.

Good Luck!
    We are on the same page! Exactly! +1
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its hard to work full time and study. Toss in a wife and kids and it really get tough. Thankfully my schedule is 8 hrs a day 5 days a week and weekends off. I usually stud M- F from 10:30 to 12:30, wind down a bit and in bed no later than 1:30. I get up at 7:45. Weekends are harder, very unpredictable, but I try to get in 4 - 6 hrs in.

@OP: You work 4 10's. Those are long days. You can try studying 1 hr on work days and maybe 2 - 3 hrs on days off.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Along the lines of what ssnyderu2 said, I'd study for 1 hour on your lunch break. What I do is go heat my lunch up and eat while working, then take a 1 hour lunch break to do nothing but read. That will at least keep you going during the work days. On the days off, you'll need to have strict schedule/time management. Either use 1 day for taking care of business, and study on the other two days, or dedicate 3 hours a day to business and then the rest of the day to studying.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a commute? I listen to recordings (youtube videos, etc) while I drive to keep a review of learned material. I have my books on a kindle so I carry it around in my bag and study whenever I get a chance. I do get some down time at work, so that really helps.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My commute is about 5min. The problem is that I am not one of those people that absorbs information through passive listening, I have to be actively engaged when hearing information otherwise nothing sticks. I like some of the suggestions to stick to 1 hour study during work days and a couple hours a day during off. Welcome any other ideas.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Study during downtime. Job doesn't allow it? then you are at a terrible work place. I would never work for a place that doesn't encourage studying in downtime. Frankly, I would go as far as questioning the boss' intelligence at that point.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    My commute is about 5min. The problem is that I am not one of those people that absorbs information through passive listening, I have to be actively engaged when hearing information otherwise nothing sticks. I like some of the suggestions to stick to 1 hour study during work days and a couple hours a day during off. Welcome any other ideas.

My commute is about an hour one way. I would imagine not a whole lot could be learned in the 5 minute window. Another way I remember things is always talking to myself.. .Odd as that sounds. I pretend I am teaching someone how to do something. I've found when I am trying to show someone else something I learn more.
  • Options
    tpasmalltpasmall Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find flash cards have made a big difference for me. Make them for everything, even the simple stuff. I use the program Anki so that my computer(s) and phone can sync the cards. Even on the worst days I can muster reviewing 10-15 cards. That way you can find your weak spots and only need about 5 minutes a day to do it.

edit: I work M-F 8-5 and an additional 8 hours of overtime every other weekend. Plus the family stuff. It's tough, but it's doable.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    tpasmall wrote: »
    I find flash cards have made a big difference for me. Make them for everything, even the simple stuff. I use the program Anki so that my computer(s) and phone can sync the cards. Even on the worst days I can muster reviewing 10-15 cards. That way you can find your weak spots and only need about 5 minutes a day to do it.

That's actually fantastic advice and I'm going to use your idea. I routinely have random periods of time where I could knock out 5-15 minutes of flash card review. Since sitting down to read a book isnt ideal in such a short time, but flashcards are perfect. Get in. Get out.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Waka Flocka FlameWaka Flocka Flame Banned Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same situation as you OP.. plus I have a kid too.. I get 3 days of a week but on my days off I have my son etc. Luckily though I can dedicate 6-9hrs per week for the next two weeks for studying then I have two weeks off from work! So i can increase the study time alot! Then sit my exam before I go back to work.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What exactly is consuming your 3 days off? You can't fit in 2 hours study per day?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is tough to stay motivated at times, We all have things we would rather be doing than studying for a certification or degree. The reason we stick with it is because we can see the benefits that come from the current sacrifices being made. I think you need to reassess why you are studying what you are studying again. Look at the outcome and think about how it will change your life. See yourself having accomplished your goals and really internalize how that will feel. I know it is clichéd, but properly motivated people can move mountains. Setting realistic, time based goals of what will be done when, makes a real difference too. Even if it is reading a chapter a week, every success builds positive momentum. Rome wasn't built in a day and sometimes you will have off weeks. Don't let not studying for a week demoralize you either.. You just have to find that thing that makes being tired and cranky worth it in the long run.

Good luck!
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”